Home > Forum > Alternate Route to Cascadian Couloir (Mt Stuart)

Alternate Route to Cascadian Couloir (Mt Stuart)

• goleary
  • [goleary]
More
03 May 2017 10:51 #155592 by goleary
I've been wanting to ski the Cascadian on Stuart for some time but seems like the road is in no condition to approach by car (patchy 8 miles from Esmeralda trail-head and consistent snow 6 miles according to ranger station).

Looking at a map I figured that instead of heading all the way to the normal trail-head one could cut off on the road towards bean creek basin trailhead, head up past Iron & Bill Peaks and shave a little bit of distance off the approach.

I'm curious if anyone has been this way or if it would actually be worth it to shave a grand total of ~4 miles off the trip.

link to the 2 different options (green vs blue): caltopo.com/m/Q0R4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
03 May 2017 12:46 #155595 by Good2Go
Your proposed approach will work, but I doubt it would deliver much of a time savings, due to the fact that the terrain may be patchy/brushy and you'll be sidehilling quite a bit, etc. The road is melting out super fast and the snowpack on the mountain is still pretty fat (I was up there last Sat). Guessing the standard approach will be quite a bit shorter after this week's warmup. I'd wait a week or two and then pick whatever approach looks best then, especially if you're trying to go car to car.

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
03 May 2017 13:32 #155596 by cmosetick
Yes, accessing the Cascadian Couloir on Mount Stuart from the south near Beverley Turnpike and Iron Peak is totally feasible.

Myself, Morgan, Imran and Ben used this approach April 30th + May 1st 2016.

I can't provide much more detail as I had to bail north of the ridge that separates the counties from one another due to extreme exhaustion from previous affairs and did not want to slow the group down.

The key thing seems to be camping near or at the trailhead the night before and getting a really early start the first day. (This is what we did) Last year there was a decent amount of walking before being able to use skins and skis. Good2Go is accurate about sidehilling in places. However, the sidehilling areas that I did cover did not seem too bad an were manageable.

There was a trip report written by Ben:

Cascadian Campout May 1st, 2016
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=36440.0

I skied Iron Peak, while the other three, continued to the Cascadian Couloir. The video Ben created speaks volumes about this approach. Morgan even temporarily lost a ski pole and got his sock wet in the first five minutes on the trail. (but after that I think everything went smooth.

Honestly, they looked exhausted upon return to the trail head, but I still think this is a totally valid approach. I agree with Good2Go, not sure how much time savings, if any this would yield. But's it's beautiful terrain without the hordes. Keep an eye out for junk on the road on the way to the trailhead, especially chainsaw files.

More
03 May 2017 13:53 #155598 by Pete A
While the Beverly Creek variation might be a more interesting way to go vs skiing along the road, I don't think its substantially faster. 
Years ago I skied the Cascadian via the road approach and Longs Pass and while on the route, we ran into some friends who were also up there and they'd approached via Beverly.   We skied down at the same time and they returned to their car via Beverly and we returned via Longs to retrieve our camping gear-  despite the two different routes, we all ended up at our cars on the Teanaway Rd at roughly the same time- can't recall who got there first, but we saw everyone again as we were packing up the cars.

• Splitboardist
  • [Splitboardist]
More
03 May 2017 14:15 #155599 by Splitboardist
Replied by Splitboardist on topic Re: Alternate Route to Cascadian Couloir (Mt Stuart)

I've been wanting to ski the Cascadian on Stuart for some time but ...

If you're looking for a car-to-car sufferfest partner this weekend on Sunday let me know!

• snoholic
  • [snoholic]
More
03 May 2017 14:47 #155600 by snoholic
I've day tripped the Cascadian twice via Beverly. I enjoy the wilderness feel of the route. I've gone in via turnpike and out 4th of july pass. That was a nice loop. I've also gone in Turnpike and out Longs, but that may not make sense since the road is so melted.

• goleary
  • [goleary]
More
04 May 2017 10:10 #155616 by goleary
It's looking like we are leaning towards something a bit less slogish for this weekend but thanks for all of the super useful information! I'll keep this in mind for future trips.