Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2017, RMNP Colorado

May 1, 2017, RMNP Colorado

5/1/17
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 5/2/17 8:40am
Day 50
RMNP

Anniversary Tour Redux

May Day!  And Day 50 so is that...cincuenta de Mayo?  OK, maybe not.

Around this time of year, every year, there is a period of pause, a quiet space between the crush of winter and the explosion of summer. The time of rebirth for all things that grow, and a deliberate, unstoppable retrenchment of the white blanket of fun we've been exploiting all winter long.  As it goes, the deep blanket changes from insecure layer cake (mid continent at least) to friendly slushy, and the new game becomes putting that slushy run on the most aesthetic mountainside possible.  

At least when the sun shines.

When it doesn't shine (the other 60 days of the year, or so the Front Range legend goes) it snows and the melt is put on hold.  Sometimes this can be a time of awesome skiing, when well timed (like Saturday's 40" pow session) usually as the sun rises, but cold smoke powder is a fleeting thing, especially in the heat of the May sun.

But Colorado is a magical place. After a couple weeks of warm weather, it started snowing again.  In an hour, summer slushy was transformed into a winter wonderland.   By the end of last week's 40" storm cycle it could have been January by the feel, March by the depth and September by the crowds.  And just as quickly, Sunday's sunshine and cold night reset the layer cake.  So now, Monday morning, there is a light snow falling, and the storm snow has a light crust. But when it snows in May, it can be quite good, so I had to check it out.

Up on the Mountain, with its usual pleasing surprise, the 2" of new inches of new snow combined with the soft crust created very carve-able conditions.  I was very glad for my choice of snowboard as the crusty mank became break-apart styrofoam with an icing frosting.

I skied one of the trails I'd neglected all winter, in full costume dress, up-tracks slightly buried and smooth untracked available on all fronts.

Down again at the parking lot by 7am, I scamper off in search of wifi on this Monday morning...of "work"?

Just down the road is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park.  I take over a quiet corner in the (seasonal) coffee bar in the basement.  No one is around.

Or are there?

Just like my wedding weekend 17 years ago, the empty halls of the hotel beguile the buildings fame; the winter snow is still deep, there are few tourists about, and if one is listening just right, the Hotel reverberates with the ghosts of yesteryear.  
No pics in May...

Wow, that snow looks wintery again. They say corn is coming, but it sure is coming slow...

author=MW88888888]
By the end of last week's 40" storm cycle it could have been January by the feel, March by the depth and September by the crowds.

^^ I love that description. Thanks for the report too!

That's the real Shining Hotel! I need to get down there to complete the Shining trifecta (Timberline, GNP Montana, and there). Good stoke, thanks!

The one and only.  It's changed slightly over the years, but still charming.

On your visit, do stay in room 217, where King stayed when he got the idea for the book.

Max creepy.  Enjoy taking a shower!

Reply to this TR

may-1-2017-rmnp-colorado
MW88888888
2017-05-02 15:40:18