Home > Trip Reports > April 29, 2017, Stevens Pass, Snowmobilers GET OUT

April 29, 2017, Stevens Pass, Snowmobilers GET OUT

4/29/17
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Blizz Mountain on 4/30/17 12:36am
Saturday morning many people were out at closed Stevens Pass resort for some easy access turns  - only problem was snowmobilers !!!  Top entrance to Tye Mill area (Skid Road trail) CLEARLY POSTED - NON MOTORIZED AREA - however seems like all the sledders out there completely disregarding the non-motorized areas.  Literally, 12 sledders came flying down Tye Mill area, right past skiers / skinners and riding all over the front side.  More concerning than the fact that they are trashing the skiability of the snow is the safety issue of them flying over a crest, not knowing there's someone skinning up in the area.  What needs to be done to keep these people out of non-motorized areas ???  Some skiers took pics and are sending to the Sheriff's office - does it need to be heavily roped off with a gate for skiers, just to get people to obey rules ??

I thought everyone knew about this?... It's been going on for years...

Myself I view it as similar to being on a fireroad - could be Mtn Bikers, could be equestrians, could be hikers along the way... could even be a pick up truck to haul you up the road after a 4000 ft descent (Mt 7, Golden BC)

Like w/the horse people your other senses will alert you before you see them (smell)... or sleds (sound and smell)

Like w/a shuttle truck sometimes you get extra runs when the sleds offer you a shuttle...

I know many people don't like sleds and there is a sign in there somewhere posted... Stevens Pass is different than other ski areas, it just is.

To me communication is key w/the other people in any environment - if you don't like it be direct, calm, and voice what you have to say directly.

author=Mike Cheney link=topic=38401.msg155538#msg155538 date=1493579215]
I thought everyone knew about this?... It's been going on for years...

Myself I view it as similar to being on a fireroad - could be Mtn Bikers, could be equestrians, could be hikers along the way... could even be a pick up truck to haul you up the road after a 4000 ft descent (Mt 7, Golden BC)

Like w/the horse people your other senses will alert you before you see them (smell)... or sleds (sound and smell)

Like w/a shuttle truck sometimes you get extra runs when the sleds offer you a shuttle...

I know many people don't like sleds and there is a sign in there somewhere posted... Stevens Pass is different than other ski areas, it just is.

To me communication is key w/the other people in any environment - if you don't like it be direct, calm, and voice what you have to say directly.

Are you saying that you're okay with the sleds on the frontside? Are you making excuses for them? Your message isn't really clear. I'm okay with sleds in areas where they are allowed but they need to stay out of areas where they are prohibited.

author=aaron_wright link=topic=38401.msg155543#msg155543 date=1493597193]
Are you saying that you're okay with the sleds on the frontside? Are you making excuses for them? Your message isn't really clear. I'm okay with sleds in areas where they are allowed but they need to stay out of areas where they are prohibited.

Making excuses? Not clear enough?

I've been getting along with the sledders for years up there - it usually doesn't last very long.

This is Stevens Pass...

Any sledder w/common sense usually traverses to Mill Valley... or rides across of Hwy 2. I have got extra laps in via sled before from people I've met up there.

Myself I would have just flagged them down and calmly communicated my concerns asked them if they were headed to Mill Valley? Asked them where they would be riding exactly.

Instead of going up there on the weekend I went to Hurricane Ridge for 3 days... away from the easy access masses.

author=Mike Cheney link=topic=38401.msg155548#msg155548 date=1493610815]
Making excuses? Not clear enough?

I've been getting along with the sledders for years up there - it usually doesn't last very long.

This is Stevens Pass...

Any sledder w/common sense usually traverses to Mill Valley... or rides across of Hwy 2. I have got extra laps in via sled before from people I've met up there.

Myself I would have just flagged them down and calmly communicated my concerns asked them if they were headed to Mill Valley? Asked them where they would be riding exactly.

Instead of going up there on the weekend I went to Hurricane Ridge for 3 days... away from the easy access masses.
Okay, you're saying it's okay for sleds to access Mill Valley by going through the frontside of Stevens where they're prohibited. If you read the op it's clear that the sleds came from Mill Valley. That means they would have no need to illegally access Mill Valley(an area open to sleds) by traversing the ski area because access is good by the nordic center.

author=aaron_wright link=topic=38401.msg155550#msg155550 date=1493653587]
Okay, you're saying it's okay for sleds to access Mill Valley by going through the frontside of Stevens where they're prohibited. If you read the op it's clear that the sleds came from Mill Valley. That means they would have no need to illegally access Mill Valley(an area open to sleds) by traversing the ski area because access is good by the nordic center.

1. I'm not hear to debate anything.
2. I never said this is "ok"
3. Like I said this happens briefly this time of year.
4. Stevens Pass is different than other ski areas in many ways & traditions
5. ANYONE IS FREE TO FIRE UP THIER Riteous Indignation AND TRY TO CHANGE IT... - channel that tword making the stairs align to accomplish that goal.
6. It's nice when the sledders give you an extra lap or two on thier sled ... or beta about conditions
7. It's better to communicate directly in a calm manner in the moment any concerns a person has, anywhere any time.

. It's better to communicate directly in a calm manner in the moment any concerns a person has, anywhere any time.

OK - Snowmobilers, please obey rules and laws and do not ride in areas CLEARLY marked as Non Motorized area!  Sign even says "you are being watched - Sherriff will be notified".  'Claiming Stevens pass is different, or there's traditions, etc is not an excuse to break the law'.

I am not at all complaining about snowmobilers on the 'backside' Mill Valley area - when they are allowed there, its fine.  If one chooses to ski in and share an area that's open to snowmobilers, than that's fine.  It is NOT the same as LEGALLY sharing multi-use areas.

Reply to this TR

april-29-2017-stevens-pass-snowmobilers-get-out
Blizz Mountain
2017-04-30 07:36:38