Home > Trip Reports > April 22-23, 2017, RMNP and Mt Lincoln Amphitheater

April 22-23, 2017, RMNP and Mt Lincoln Amphitheater

4/22/17
Posted by RonL on 4/27/17 12:41am
I had work in Denver on Friday and a conference this week...    ...So I dropped in on old friends to experience that Southern hospitality. Getting to travel with just boots in this day and age because your buddy has a board for you to borrow is worth gold.

They were considering changing plans because I didn't have crampons with me - no way, that was just the push I needed to ignore my usual cheapness and go to Neptunes for some new space metal lightweight toys.

Family plans dictated an early day sat so we went to the local for some storm powder in the trees. On Sunday though, with moderate avy danger and SUN!, we went to Mt Lincoln Amphitheater to ski a 14teener. I felt so lucky.

It is a great mtn and route, with a cruxy start past the ice climbing, then a meandering stroll thru the rows of seats in the amphitheater to the ridge and a summit pitch. We watched one loose slide come down a steep chute as we ascended but we were able to stay on comforting hard terrain thru windboard and warming corn.

Sean sent this bone chilling account of a slide on a similar aspect to the chute that we saw slide but over on dragon tail;

http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/obs/obs_report.php?obs_id=47073

shiver,

Such a blast to see old friends and ski a big mtn in the sun. On the sightseeing tour back to town we went over loveland and saw evidence of big lines being ski all over the place.

Thanks again guys, memorable tour.

Cheers,
Saturday was a lot of fun, while Sunday was outstanding.

It took four tries to nail the full descent of Lincoln.  You need plenty of snow up in the 'theatre - so early in the season is better -  and also you need a hard freeze like we had to really enjoy the headwall as it is low in altitude and heats up pretty quick.

A great visit, oh yes, but especially nice as the inner dirtbag in you, Ron, glows with delight at the thought that work paid for all that fun.

:). First place I ever saw someone ski from a summit was that route on Lincoln in about 1997.

Reply to this TR

april-22-23-2017-rmnp-and-mt-lincoln-amphitheater
RonL
2017-04-27 07:41:44