Home > Forum > WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th

WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th

• thatoneguydave
  • [thatoneguydave]
More
26 Apr 2017 21:32 #229590 by thatoneguydave
WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th was created by thatoneguydave
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the desperate search of two climbing permits for Helens on May 6th. Wife and I typically used to do this every spring till we had a kid a year and a half ago and well we got grandparents lined up and well we're without permits. Did they move forward the permit date to April 1st in the last year? I typically remember skiing this by Mother's Day without a permit. Desperate for some help.

Thanks,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
27 Apr 2017 10:45 #229592 by kamtron
Is this some kind of Mother's Day St. Helens permit scalping scam?

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
27 Apr 2017 12:52 #229593 by Good2Go

I have no idea. I think it was started over at Cascade climbers a few years ago because they got sick of all the requests to buy or sell MSH permits on their message boards. I personally think the entire MSH permit system is a scam run by the forest service... but that's probably another discussion.

It's a money making scam that benefits the FS, the Mt St Helens Institute (which is a quasi private boondoggle IMO) and the commercial vendor that manages the permits (which gets $4 per permit = WTF?). Why they need to limit permits during the snow season is a mystery to me. Adams seems to do fine without those restrictions. The permits should be way cheaper, regardless.

From the Mt St Helens Institute's FAQ page:

What does the the $22 from my climbing permit help support?

Mount St. Helens climbing permits are administered by the Mount St. Helens Institute in partnership with Discover Your Northwest, an online vendor and nonprofit partner. The U.S. Forest Service receives $14 of the total permit fee of $22, with the remaining $8 a service charge split between Discover Your Northwest and the Mount St. Helens Institute. The portion received by the Mount St. Helens Institute is invested in a variety of services and programs in and around the National Volcanic Monument including:

Customer service and informational resources for climbing permit holders and other outdoor recreators

Mountain Steward volunteers provide visitors with safety advice, guidance regarding hiking routes and current conditions, information about Forest Service regulations and procedures, and provide educational information

Conservation Corp volunteers help repair and maintain trails and facilities and remove noxious weeds

Volcano Volunteers lead hikes, guide school groups, and share information with the public at the Monument’s visitor centers and other sites.

Youth Education programs engage thousands of students annually in hands-on science and outdoor experiences in the context of the Pacific Northwest’s youngest and most active volcano.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Apr 2017 21:56 #229596 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th
scalpers gonna