telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/24/17, 01:32 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th  (Read 2050 times)
thatoneguydave
5Member

WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th
« on: 04/26/17, 09:32 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the desperate search of two climbing permits for Helens on May 6th.  Wife and I typically used to do this every spring till we had a kid a year and a half ago and well we got grandparents lined up and well we're without permits.  Did they move forward the permit date to April 1st in the last year?  I typically remember skiing this by Mother's Day without a permit.  Desperate for some help.

Thanks,

David
KLW

Re: WTB: 2 Climbing permits for Helens on May 6th
« Reply #1 on: 04/27/17, 07:20 AM »

http://purmit.com/
kamtron

« Reply #2 on: 04/27/17, 10:45 AM »

Is this some kind of Mother's Day St. Helens permit scalping scam?
KLW

« Reply #3 on: 04/27/17, 12:12 PM »

I have no idea. I think it was started over at Cascade climbers a few years ago because they got sick of all the requests to buy or sell MSH permits on their message boards. I personally think the entire MSH permit system is a scam run by the forest service... but that's probably another discussion.
Good2Go

« Reply #4 on: 04/27/17, 12:52 PM »

I have no idea. I think it was started over at Cascade climbers a few years ago because they got sick of all the requests to buy or sell MSH permits on their message boards. I personally think the entire MSH permit system is a scam run by the forest service... but that's probably another discussion.
It's a money making scam that benefits the FS, the Mt St Helens Institute (which is a quasi private boondoggle IMO) and the commercial vendor that manages the permits (which gets $4 per permit = WTF?).  Why they need to limit permits during the snow season is a mystery to me.  Adams seems to do fine without those restrictions.  The permits should be way cheaper, regardless. 

From the Mt St Helens Institute's FAQ page:

What does the the $22 from my climbing permit help support?

Mount St. Helens climbing permits are administered by the Mount St. Helens Institute in partnership with Discover Your Northwest, an online vendor and nonprofit partner. The U.S. Forest Service receives $14 of the total permit fee of $22, with the remaining $8 a service charge split between Discover Your Northwest and the Mount St. Helens Institute. The portion received by the Mount St. Helens Institute is invested in a variety of services and programs in and around the National Volcanic Monument including:

Customer service and informational resources for climbing permit holders and other outdoor recreators

Mountain Steward volunteers provide visitors with safety advice, guidance regarding hiking routes and current conditions, information about Forest Service regulations and procedures, and provide educational information

Conservation Corp volunteers help repair and maintain trails and facilities and remove noxious weeds

Volcano Volunteers lead hikes, guide school groups, and share information with the public at the Monument’s visitor centers and other sites.

Youth Education programs engage thousands of students annually in hands-on science and outdoor experiences in the context of the Pacific Northwest’s youngest and most active volcano.
flowing alpy

« Reply #5 on: 04/27/17, 09:56 PM »

scalpers gonna
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.