telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/25/17, 01:04 PM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  John Kircher Acquires Crystal Mountain
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Kircher Acquires Crystal Mountain  (Read 1239 times)
Charlie Hagedorn

John Kircher Acquires Crystal Mountain
« on: 04/18/17, 10:49 PM »

https://crystalmountainresort.com/blog-winter/john-kircher-acquires-crystal-mountain/

alecapone

Re: John Kircher Acquires Crystal Mountain
« Reply #1 on: 04/19/17, 08:54 AM »

Thanks for the link. Interesting.

I can say John Kircher, the Kircher family, and Boyne resorts fueled my love for skiing and snowboarding. They have done a lot for skiing, and the economy in northern michigan.  Being born and raised in the center of Detroit, pre internet and cable, exposure to skiing was pretty rare.  Other then Warren Miller and ABC's wide world of sports.

They have a small chain of stores in the Detroit area called boyne country sports, used to be Bavarian village sports(would fit well in leavenworth). One of the very few options at the time. Probably one of my biggest inspirations. Their gross pointe location was in my bike riding zone from my grandma's house. As a little kid, I'd stop and gaze in the window and day dream. long before I ever skied,, the seed was planted. Some years later I purchased my first pair of skis from them.

Boyne/ Boyne  Highlands eventually became my home hill. Gold pass holder for most of the 2000's.  Less then 400$ for an everyday, every resort pass. Well used. Many many days at Brighton and big sky. Main reason I came to Washington the first time was to use my pass at crystal and see Washington. Might not be here today if not for the Kircher family.

scott
davidG

« Reply #2 on: 04/19/17, 10:19 AM »

The broader Kircher family IS Boyne.  Interesting, but wonder why they would parcel off part of the empire.  Perhaps John will blog about it some day.  Seems they also own some patents on snow-making technology.
Boyne at Wikipedia

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #3 on: 04/19/17, 01:27 PM »

My dad was one of the original 750 shareholders that were bought out by Boyne in 1997. (Those shares of stock were converted to membership units in the Crystal Mountain Founders Club when Boyne bought the ski area.) Our family has been skiing there since the area opened.

These days, I don't ski Crystal nearly as much as others on this site, but I've been pleased with the improvements that Boyne (and Kirscher) have made to the area. I think the recent sale is good news.
« Last Edit: 04/19/17, 07:17 PM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.