Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2017, Hyak

April 15, 2017, Hyak

4/15/17
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by thunderchief on 4/17/17 1:49am
A desire to experience sun/heat after a record cloudy Seattle winter, and if I am honest also a bit of laziness/sleeping in, had me aimed at what I expected to be the sunniest period of the weekend... Saturday afternoon.  Aiming for some of the strongest sun yet of the spring, steep terrain was a potential wet/loose problem... so I decided on the friendly slopes of Hyak to enjoy the vitamin D.

The low clouds broke up and I skinned up in shorts and a tshirt.  Ahhhhh that felt nice.  Anyway, first run down into hidden valley was excellent and creamy, the sun hadn't yet harmed the few inches of powder on top... and it was great.  Then, what a difference 30-40 minutes of more sun makes... the second run down hidden valley was now thick-gluelike.  Ah well, the first run was worth it.  Back to the front side, and Hyak face was cooling down with the sun lowering on the other side, and skied excellent.  Took another lap on the front side, used up my water and headed home happy.  The dudes with the paraglider wings looked like they were having a blast.
author=thunderchief]
The dudes with the paraglider wings looked like they were having a blast.

Cool! Were they wearing skis?

Went up Sunday for Easter Brunch with Champagne. Easy skin up though lots of post holes and sled track. Sweet ride down. Hazy sun and wind but closest to blue bird in a couple weeks.

Cool! Were they wearing skis?

Yup!  They started sliding down/launched from one of the steeper rollovers and got a couple hundred feet of air, gliding down to solid landings on their skis on the lower flats.

though lots of post holes and sled track.

Ya, there was a big group... say 25-30 people... practicing rope team travel and ice axe arrests Saturday when I was there.

Reply to this TR

april-15-2017-hyak
thunderchief
2017-04-17 08:49:56