Home > Trip Reports > April 16, 2017, Jim Hill

April 16, 2017, Jim Hill

4/16/17
Posted by DenisSeattle on 4/16/17 12:50pm
We took the Nordic Center/Lanham Lake route to the divide (~5700') and looked over into the Henry drainage and had lunch. Refrozen sun-affected boilerplate in the morning, up until a little past noon. Then the top inch or less of snow softened up. (There was not nearly as much sun and warmth as was forecast, and more wind.)

Kudos to the pair who farmed the north bowl yesterday for 7 runs!

Skiing back down to the lake through the trees was quite enjoyable.

I lost my red climbing helmet at around 4500' above Lanham Lake. It jumped out of the mesh keeper and slid into some trees far enough below our skin track. It has a sticker with my name and "Mt Rainier Nordic Patrol."

The only avalanche activity we saw that might have been from this weekend was a smallish wet loose natural high in the north-facing bowl above Lanham Lake. It didn't look deep and did not run out. We observed it from the lake.

Nice.

We had a view from camp( nason ridge)Looked good up there! Bumped into one of Saturdays farmers at the parking area. Said it was great.

I agree not as warm, and way too windy.

We were up there Saturday and it was indeed awesome in the north bowl. Went up Lanham but couldn't resist going down the other way. 20 mins walk along highway 2 to get back to the car was well worth it.

Reply to this TR

april-16-2017-jim-hill
DenisSeattle
2017-04-16 19:50:55