Home > Trip Reports > April 16, 2017, Paradise

April 16, 2017, Paradise

4/16/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 4/16/17 11:03am
Just in case he does not post, a friend told me he skied breakable crust from Muir to Paradise today, very breezy at Paradise, calm 8000-9000', then south breeze to Muir.  In the worst 2% of all his trips skiing down from Muir. 
I would like to corroborate this. Skinned up to Muir and skied down to Nisqually bridge by way of the chutes. Breakable crust on the snowfield, breakable chunderfest in the chutes and sticky mess below in the flats (around 2 pm).  Sun never really came out like we'd hoped to soften things up.

Good exercise, miserable skiing.

Thirded.  Also to note, the wind drift/20' deep "gully" a bit above panorama point is crazy icy and deep right now.  Saw one boarder miss it and fall in and warned another off.  He seemed mostly ok with a bit bloodied face and nose, and made it down to the lot but a scary moment.

I fourth that.  It was bad, bad, bad. The upside was we got a ride from the bridge within 5 minutes of climbing over the snowbank.  Nice folks! We'll pay it forward.

the only good thing about this day was finding out that an oven bag between my socks and my boots keeps my feet blister free. no sock/foot rub cuz the bag is so slippery. joy.

Reply to this TR

april-16-2017-paradise
silaswild
2017-04-16 18:03:59