Home > Forum > Missing skier at Snoqualmie Pass (April 2017)

Missing skier at Snoqualmie Pass (April 2017)

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Apr 2017 08:31 #229477 by Charlie Hagedorn
Missing skier at Snoqualmie Pass (April 2017) was created by Charlie Hagedorn
From the TAY Facebook page, it would appear that there is a missing skier, vehicle parked at Snoqualmie Pass, presumed to have headed into Commonwealth Basin.

The thread is here: www.facebook.com/groups/turnsallyear/per...k/10155169336714699/

It is my guess that SAR (several SAR members are active in the thread above) would be interested in hearing from anyone who had traveled in Commonwealth yesterday (April 11).

Very best of luck to everyone involved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
12 Apr 2017 08:41 - 12 Apr 2017 09:00 #229479 by Big Steve
[deleted]

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Apr 2017 09:47 #229480 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Missing skier at Snoqualmie Pass (April 2017)
Vibes:-(

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Apr 2017 11:21 #229481 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Missing skier at Snoqualmie Pass (April 2017)
Posted on Facebook TAY group:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17862556_10101041410287413_719739368408257739_n.jpg?oh=d4517db4f5b8315c7a7dcabcd0486e8c&oe=59541F13

More
12 Apr 2017 11:35 #229482 by haggis
Morgan, aka Snoqualmonix here on TAY, is the reason I've started to board/ski way more the past few years after he nonchalantly stated he would ski his age easily and reach way over 100 days as we were talking about season goals. I was astonished and realized that my age way a great target for a mere moral like me so I've been doing that the past few years thanks to him.

I'm going to miss skiing with him, albeit only a handful of times, and I'm going to miss pinging him to come on out for a dawn patrol, which he never did and routinely bumping into him at all the summit areas when we'd chat or ride a lift.

Sorry for all those close to him, he was a true mountain man with the utmost respect for his surroundings and those around him.

RIP Morgan.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Apr 2017 13:36 #229483 by Charlie Hagedorn

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
12 Apr 2017 14:18 #229484 by cumulus
Really sorry to hear this. I worked with Morgan and although I never got out into the backcountry with him I totally appreciated having that unspoken bond of having another backcountry enthusiast around. Really nice guy, good sense of humor and always smiling.
Condolences to all his friends and family.

More
12 Apr 2017 17:58 #229487 by Seth
This is terrible news. Morgan was always such a kind, positive, enthusiastic person every time we ran into each other. His love for the mountains showed. Wish I could of gotten to ski with him.

Condolences to his friends and family.

More
12 Apr 2017 20:45 #229488 by dahu
Tragic news...Morgan was such a kind and gentle person. Spent 4 days in the Baker area with him and he made a lasting impression on our group. RIP Morgan. We miss you.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Apr 2017 10:23 #229492 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Missing skier at Snoqualmie Pass (April 2017)

Limited accident detail: www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/backco...lmie-pass-avalanche/

The Seattle Times article has been updated to include the victim's full name, Morgan Miller, as well as quotes from several of his friends. My condolences to all.

More
13 Apr 2017 15:49 #229494 by Griff
Very sad news. (((((Condolences to the family))))).

A number of times I ran in to Morgan in the parking lot at spots around the Pass. Him solo with his dog and me the same with mine. Always such a friendly person, knowledgeable and kind. At one point we realized that my son Graham had taken his rock climbing class, and he then started following Graham's competitive freeskiing exploits. His last like to our FB page was literally just this week on the 8s post made at Alpy Sunday.

I always appreciated his "likes" of my stuff, I knew that I had done a vid or post right about the mountains if Morgan liked it because he LOVED the mountains (like me).

Damn, I will really miss that. RIP Brother Snoqualmonix (one of the best handles on TAY).

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 Apr 2017 17:15 #229495 by telemack
Our thoughts and hopes travel on with this man, and all those who have gone ahead.

• mtneer ordinaire
  • [green achers]
More
13 Apr 2017 19:06 #229496 by mtneer ordinaire
Replied by mtneer ordinaire on topic Re: Missing skier at Snoqualmie Pass (April 2017)
Terribly sad.

I first met Morgan about 8 years ago when I enrolled in a climbing class at Vertical World. I was impressed with his intelligence, professionalism, great humor, and laid-back nature.

Through pure happenstance, four years ago, I was fortunate -- as a novice cross country ski instructor at the Snoqualmie Nordic Center -- to be teamed with Morgan while instructing 9, 10, and 11-year-old kids during an 8 week program. His co-instructors, the kids, and their parents respected and admired Morgan whose enthusiasm was truly infectious.

The attached photo (Morgan, grinning broadly, on the left) was taken minutes after the kids achieved their 8 week program's major milestone: loading on, riding up, and unloading from the Silver Fir chairlift.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends and to our outdoor recreation community.
Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2017 17:01 #229524 by Griff
For Morgan, this past weekend at Alpental:

vimeo.com/213555366