Home > Trip Reports > April 11, 2017, Pineapple Pass

April 11, 2017, Pineapple Pass

4/11/17
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Onward. on 4/11/17 7:40am
Now with 4-5 yrs experience (not a lot) I am starting to firmly believe that the key to great touring is low expectations. Every time I go out with low expectations, I have a great time.

Today was one off those everything was better than expected days. There was 1" of cold new in the Alpy upper parking lot at our 0730 departure which got just a touch deeper with elevation. Pineapple proper held mostly moderately dense 3-6" shaded powder over what was a strong crust above ~4500' and a supportable crust on a snowboard below that (I imagine the crust might be touchier on skis below ~4500'). Thin (1-2") wind slab sparse and not a problem. Turns from the pass back to Source far exceeded expectations (which were appropriately low) in a stoke-y sort of way. April Hero Pow (AHP).

How often does one eat lunch on a WA Pass in windless (meaning no wind) weather? Go Tuesday! Vibes for y'all the snow holds out in this region through the 'kend.

Here's a link to photo album since I can't figure out how to get google photos to display on this site... https://goo.gl/photos/txibTc1nAyoLxxdY6

Nice running into you on the luge track out (I was the skier who stopped to chat about the couloir we skied).

I remember your comment from the lot and couldn't agree more - "the key to great touring is low expectations".

The north slope of chair and some NE facing couloir above snow lake held delightful powder at 8:30am this morning.

FWIW: Images not displaying for me -- might be a google photos permissions thing.

author=Randy link=topic=38289.msg155145#msg155145 date=1492000700]
FWIW: Images not displaying for me -- might be a google photos permissions thing.

tinkered with the permissions and linked to an album above. let me know if they show up. still can't figure out pics on this site...

author=goleary link=topic=38289.msg155133#msg155133 date=1491951778]
I remember your comment from the lot and couldn't agree more - "the key to great touring is low expectations".

One of my favorite new sayings is "just going for a walk in the woods" anything else is the cherry on top. I've had a lot of amazing days that start like that.

author=Onward. link=topic=38289.msg155155#msg155155 date=1492013195]
tinkered with the permissions and linked to an album above. let me know if they show up. still can't figure out pics on this site...

Thanks for trying -- sadly I'm still seeing just a grey circle with a line across.

I can see the pictures in the link you added -- nice pics -- looked like a great day.

With google photos I'm wondering if one needs to place the photo in a shared album first in order for general sharing to work.  To test that theory -- here is a picture of me and my newest hiking partner using a shared album.

author=Randy link=topic=38289.msg155182#msg155182 date=1492087968]
Thanks for trying -- sadly I'm still seeing just a grey circle with a line across.

I can see the pictures in the link you added -- nice pics -- looked like a great day.

With google photos I'm wondering if one needs to place the photo in a shared album first in order for general sharing to work.  To test that theory -- here is a picture of me and my newest hiking partner using a shared album.

I believe the album is public... what sharing mechanism did you use on Google photos? When I click "Share" it asks me to either provide specific email addresses to share to or share to FB/Twitter...

Reply to this TR

april-11-2017-pineapple-pass
Onward.
2017-04-11 14:40:03