telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/29/17, 12:43 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Road Conditions: mountain access
| | |-+  Road Conditions - South WA Cascades
| | | |-+  Adams Road Conditions?
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adams Road Conditions?  (Read 1408 times)
bgombasy
5Member

Adams Road Conditions?
« on: 04/11/17, 08:33 AM »

Hoping to go to Adams and ski SW Chutes somewhere between the 18-25 depending on weather.  Anyone know how much road I am going to be skinning?
river59
5Member

Re: Adams Road Conditions?
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/17, 10:18 PM »

I would guess you are going to do 5-6+ miles of road skinning to cold springs, one way. May 18-25 would be a better period. There's a spot above the wicky shelter that holds snow until at least May, but most of the road through the burn might be melted out. I have had success using a bike when roads are blocked by drifts but not skinnable.

I havent been up the 8040 recently, but i have been working in the Cispus/Goat Rocks area and most roads are blocked by snow above 2.5 - 3k. Last week I found consistently deep snow above 2800 ft outside of trout lake.

The most direct route might be gotchen to west side aiken to RTM.

If you choose to go, be careful. Help is going to be a long time coming.
« Last Edit: 04/11/17, 10:40 PM by river59 » Logged
bgombasy
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 04/12/17, 01:11 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I figured this would be a long shot.  Might be a little ambitious at the moment.  After moving to Spokane, I am always a little on the eager side to get back to the Cascades and volcanoes come spring time.
river59
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 04/17/17, 07:46 PM »

Your question got me thinking about conditions in the alpine, so I went up last Friday and Sunday to take a look around.

The 80 road (to cold springs) is blocked. The screwball that lives at the bottom of the road has parked his giant military flat bed on the snow berm, effectively blocking the road to all vehicles.

The 23 road is blocked by snow at approximately 2400 feet.

The 82 road is plowed (!!!) to the junction with the 737 road (4000 ft). There is about 4-5 feet of snow at 4k. Skinned up to about 8k. Had the place all to myself until a bunch of snowmobiling dipshits showed up on Sunday afternoon to cruise around the wilderness and on to the Yakima reservation.

RANT: I am getting so sick of that shit. They have hundreds of square miles to cruise, yet they head to the closed areas to recreate. Plus, they didn't stop once to assess any slope and weren't carrying any avy gear. The assholes were highmarking on a slope that would have drained directly onto me, had it slid. If the rangers don't get em, a slab will... END RANT

Snow is deeeeeep. Most ridges are still completely covered. Chutes looked nice, mazama looked great, most cornices that I could see had already collapsed. Get after it.

Also, please photograph and report any jackasses entering the wilderness on a sled. We gotta END this shit.
Patarero

« Reply #4 on: 05/03/17, 03:26 PM »

Your question got me thinking about conditions in the alpine, so I went up last Friday and Sunday to take a look around.

The 80 road (to cold springs) is blocked. The screwball that lives at the bottom of the road has parked his giant military flat bed on the snow berm, effectively blocking the road to all vehicles.

The 23 road is blocked by snow at approximately 2400 feet.

The 82 road is plowed (!!!) to the junction with the 737 road (4000 ft). There is about 4-5 feet of snow at 4k. Skinned up to about 8k. Had the place all to myself until a bunch of snowmobiling dipshits showed up on Sunday afternoon to cruise around the wilderness and on to the Yakima reservation.

RANT: I am getting so sick of that shit. They have hundreds of square miles to cruise, yet they head to the closed areas to recreate. Plus, they didn't stop once to assess any slope and weren't carrying any avy gear. The assholes were highmarking on a slope that would have drained directly onto me, had it slid. If the rangers don't get em, a slab will... END RANT

Snow is deeeeeep. Most ridges are still completely covered. Chutes looked nice, mazama looked great, most cornices that I could see had already collapsed. Get after it.

Also, please photograph and report any jackasses entering the wilderness on a sled. We gotta END this shit.

Good to know, thanks for the report.  Yeah, the sleds in the wilderness piss me off too, not sure what the solution is.   
kevino

« Reply #5 on: 05/06/17, 06:22 AM »

Any updates?
river59
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 05/15/17, 09:06 PM »

Any updates?

As of 5/14, it was possible to drive the 8040 to about 2 miles short of the Morrison creek cg (about 4k). 0.
2 mile walk up the road to continuous snow, with one short carry about 1 mile below the MCCG. One large blowdown at that location will require a chainsaw to clear the road.

The 23 road is blocked by snow at approximately 3200 ft.

Had the place all to myself last weekend, except for one skier on a sled. Get it!
thunderchief
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 05/25/17, 10:17 AM »

While we wait for the NF to update their road status on the climbing page... any of you fine folks been up there the last few days?  If snow/blowdowns or major crowding this holiday weekend causes problems on 8040, think access via the aiken lava bed or the road up towards bird/bluff lakes is reasonable?
river59
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 05/26/17, 10:27 AM »

You shouldn't have any problems going up the 8040. Was up a few times last week and the access was good. Creeping ever closer to Morrison creek. Just take the shorthorn out of MCCG and avoid the slog and crowds going to cold springs. You should be able to skin from MC or slightly lower...

Haven't been over to the aiken in about a month or so, but I would guess it is fairly melted out below 5kish. If you don't mind schwacking, you could have that side all to yourself.
thunderchief
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 05/26/17, 11:27 AM »

Rock!  Thanks for the update!  Any way, its going to be a great weekend.  Spring volcano season rocks.
sgertz
5Member

« Reply #10 on: 05/26/17, 12:48 PM »

Is Cold Springs CG accessible now?
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.