Home > Trip Reports > Jan 3, 2006, Anthony Lakes, OR

Jan 3, 2006, Anthony Lakes, OR

1/3/06
OR elsewhere
Posted by altasnob on 1/3/06 8:30am
Tried to ski Anthony Lakes Ski Area near Baker City, OR but the resort is closed on Tuesdays. Instead, we headed for the adjacent backcountry. Snowpack was a bit sketchy but the potential looked endless

More pics here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42911
 My son and I spent a couple of days sking there the week before new years when they were open all week. Great snow we had a little less than a foot of fresh and tho the area has only about 900 vt we lapped fresh tracks all day in some pleasent trees far skiers rt.  It sounds like Thursdays can be busy... for them as they have half price tickets I was eyeing some lines on the back side and spoke with a Tele patroller who spoke of a variety of lines later in the season when things filled in. Sounds like they have some nice dry snow when it dumps and we found a great cheap place to stay in Baker city. great touring one day on their trails also!!

Where did you stay in Baker City?

Yeah my girlfriend and I went up there in early December and found some good turns.  Everywhere else in oregon was mush and we were skiing powder in sunny weather.  The snowpack was somewhat shallow but there is definately touring potentional.  The resort is really low key, has a great bar and has camping in the parking lot.  We hiked up the ridge next to the resort and then skied down the backside.  We also skied the next drainage over.  With nice turns.  I definately will go back and visit.

Toby

we stayed at a place called Bridge Street Inn. a 1960's motel 38$ a night with breakfast in the office with the owners, high speed wirelsss, and clean beds...... beats a tent like I might had done when I was a bit younger!!. My son and I also enjoyed going to the BLM Oregon Trail center where nearby we spent some time hiking out across the sagebrush along the wagen swale of the old Oregon trail.

cw

Thanks CW. I hope to make it out that way later in the season.

Reply to this TR

jan-3-2006-anthony-lakes-or
altasnob
2006-01-03 16:30:10