telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 04:58 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Crystal - 04/09
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal - 04/09  (Read 2070 times)
ddk

Crystal - 04/09
« on: 04/09/17, 03:17 PM »

Short report – Mighty fine day, not as much sun or heat as hoped for, but the North facing aspects were prime and happy, some new to make things “better”, fairly light crowd most of the day on most of the lifts I was on, probably better grooming…Coombas were very happy!

Lots of words report – Arrived extra extra early, still only got #2 prime CHex front row spot, fairly small early crowd, big sunny, first tracks in GV Bowl center was very nice (inch or two new over soft left overs), screamer smooth good grooming down MIFB and PB called me straight over there…after a fortunately unseen screw up at the bottom of HC…got a great first tracks down skier right of the center spine!  Ouch repeat, Ouch repeat….Bounced around as the morning progressed, best for me was GV Bowl to the Plunge (skier right of MIFB), a few pokes into M-World and the Gully next to it – okay but never spring prime.  Skied BP’s a few times – again better than yesterday, but still never got spring prime while I was there.  By far best was PB – many repeats.  Almost went south late morning – HUH?...Looked nice, but got Hamster lazy…only one more for sure weekend to bag south with out hiking.

Other – Got lucky and had a nice big bowl of Chicken Noodle at CB lodge (while looking at the perfect King…when I almost got sucked out south).  Only lines I noticed was FQex during the morning rush and HC had a little pucker of folks heading for the escalator lineup heading south. Pay lot weekend big and actually mostly full today, B and C both pushing full…so it was a pretty nice crowd for the accountants….Check the end of season schedule on the ski conditions page of Crystal….sad!

Other – Met another nice TAY person today…artfreeman!  Had a couple nice conversation rides with him late morning…Pretty nice day – based on a random survey of folks that had to suffer me on various chairs today.
CD

Re: Crystal - 04/09
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/17, 04:54 PM »

Chair 6, Bear Pits, Green Valley Bowl, Kelly's Gap and Lower E, Banana Chute, cliff band off the front traverse to Elk Snort.  Great day and nice snow in the aforementioned places.  Sad about all the lifts that are closing between now and the end of the season, particularly with this coverage.
CMSkier

« Reply #2 on: 04/09/17, 06:54 PM »

It was the same everywhere. 4-8” of newish snow over an icy, but carvable, rain crust. With end of the season strength and authority, it was great. Bear Pits took many repeats to track up excellent snow. A 7 minute line untolerated by our squirrel brains kept Campbell Basin to two great runs. Powder Bowl’s getting too easy, as Main Chute isn’t a chute, but the Nose is awesome. North facing Valley Bowl was excellent all day. Iceberg was the low point. Banana Chute and CD’s Rinky Dink cliff band won the day’s sketchy entries. Lots of T2Bs ending on Lower E that was the only slush found. Won’t matter tomorrow as everything will reset. K2 Aftershocks voted best all mountain, all condition ski for the 4th year running.

Ken
+

Kkz
gregL

« Reply #3 on: 04/09/17, 11:29 PM »

Lots of famous TAY people at Crystal today - saw Silas, Lowell and Amar among others . . .
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.