telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/17, 03:13 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Wiegele Heli Skiing Cariboos/Monashees – 3/ 2 to 4
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wiegele Heli Skiing Cariboos/Monashees – 3/ 2 to 4  (Read 2279 times)
ddk

Wiegele Heli Skiing Cariboos/Monashees – 3/ 2 to 4
« on: 04/07/17, 05:26 PM »

OUCH!...Been wanting to do this for a very long time…thanks to Martin Rand in the Crystal boot shop it finally happened…and Martin is a very lucky star at Wiegele’s.

Thanks to a lot of #1’s boot work this season with Martin, I passed through the boot shop just enough to hear about Martins annual last week trip to Blue River…Lordy, Lordy! As Warren Miller would say…”If you don’t do it this year, you will just be another year older”. (para phrase).  Got three very happy big days in the whirly birds. Sunday the first day in a lot of short lift rides in different sunny valleys (I really do love helicopter rides!) in the Cariboos close to Blue River. Second day was way south in an area of the Monachees that had not been skied very many times this season before Monday (maybe 2 or 3 times do to weather)…Incredible morning in the sun on great soft smooth untracked snow (not winter deep powder, but great at least boot deep smooth soft cold smoke fun)…big views, big mountains, big fun lift rides…sadly the day ended a little early do to cloud build up (still a 20+ day of fun)….I was ready for the third day to be closer in to Blue River do to some forecasts….but OUCH OH ME OH MY!....Tuesday was blue bird early and never got worse than high filtered sun…again back to the southern Monashees....and the skiing was way big high alpine glacier fun!  Only got 9 actual runs…but it was 25K of fun.  Thanks again Martin!

Other – Parking right next to our private log cabin (four bedroom with a common area – all impressive…would have liked to be rich enough to use the heli pad at the front of where we stayed).  We were the low end trip, so always got a van ride to the fuel pick up spots in the morning…but got to ride the heli right back to Blue River every afternoon (and the last day was way late on that ride).  Soup – good but who could care…all the how much can you stuff in your mouth buffets were truly impressive – OUCH!. (truly hard to go back to “normal” eating when we got home).  The servers, guides and other staff were all incredibly nice and happy and fun to be with.  For us being kinda comfortably financially secure…it was impressive hanging with the rich (and some famous) folks.  Great time….want to do it again. Mike Wiegele is a really increadible trip when you meet him.
« Last Edit: 04/07/17, 05:33 PM by ddk » Logged
Quick foot

Re: Wiegele Heli Skiing Cariboos/Monashees – 3/ 2 to 4
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/17, 07:08 PM »

So, that is where you've been.  We have done the Monashee Mt. area snow cat trip for the past 15 years, a really special area.  I am very envious of your heli trip.  Way to go!
Zap

« Reply #2 on: 04/07/17, 10:04 PM »

Nice trip with Martin. Wink
skibacks
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 04/07/17, 11:28 PM »

Way to go, Dan - sounds awesome!

skibacks
avajane

« Reply #4 on: 04/08/17, 02:48 PM »

Fantastic!

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
CD

« Reply #5 on: 04/08/17, 07:33 PM »

Oh man, I'm jealous.  As you know from past trips, heliskiing is a real crap shoot.  Glad you got a good one!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.