telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/23/17, 03:56 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  April 3, 2017 – Blackcomb
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: April 3, 2017 – Blackcomb  (Read 1988 times)
Zap

April 3, 2017 – Blackcomb
« on: 04/05/17, 11:37 AM »

This was a unique start to the day. On April 2 we were leaving Creekside and decided to stop by Blackcomb parking lot 7 to see about parking there on Monday. The parking lot was full, and we knew tomorrow it would be the parking lot for us. We then stopped by the large parking lots in the base area and saw a sign at parking lot 4s and 5 saying they are available for overnight parking. For many years you could park in this parking lot, but not for the last several years. There were at least 30 RVs (camper vans, class Cs, cab overs, people sleeping in cars, etc.), and we were right at home. With the recent purchase by Vail, it will be interesting to see what happens with the overnight parking. We used to park in Overnight lots at Kirkwood and Heavenly, but after their purchase by Vail overnight RV parking was stopped. 
ng. We parked at lot 7 and loaded Excalibur gondola. Jersey Cream express had great groomers. We stopped to talk to an Ambassador and then rode the Crystal Ridge express. We have not ridden this lift since its installation/relocation. The terrain was in great shape for 80% of the run, then the last part of the trail was what I will call different sized “ball bearings”. It is a situation that will dissipate as the trail gets more sun and softens, but for now was no fun and not easy skiing.  The next area was the 7th Heaven express. This was the place for the masses.  Riding the singles line was easy. The professional photographers were there to take your photos, and it is fun to watch.  Groomers were OK, but there was lots of traffic.  The low part of the terrain was sloshing up early, but was more fun then sliding on mid-mountain firmness.

I noticed the Whistler 5 day Edge Days which includes a Ski Free period from opening to December 15 and then 5 days for about $265. The Epic Pass will result in even more folks at Whistler/Blackcomb. 
« Last Edit: 04/06/17, 08:13 AM by Zap » Logged
Robie

Re: April 3, 2017 – Blackcomb
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/17, 04:30 PM »

Darn just missed ya ! Was there for 3 days late march.

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
avajane

Re: April 3, 2017 – Blackcomb
« Reply #2 on: 04/05/17, 08:51 PM »

Those "ball bearings" I think are starting to show up as an alternative to regular grooming during heavy freeze thaw cycles. I've seen it at sun valley as well. I could be wrong but that's my take for now. I have 100 under foot that plow thru it ok.

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.