Home > Forum > Ski Boots for Women with Large Calves / Ankles?

Ski Boots for Women with Large Calves / Ankles?

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
04 Apr 2017 17:14 #229409 by dave095790
OK ... My wife has tried a bunch of boots from La Sportiva and Dynafit ... none of them fit.  It took us 6 pairs of alpine boots before something finally worked. 

I think the Backland might be okay, with their moldable shell, but I am afraid they might just be too soft to be a viable boot option for her.  Would love to hear from current users if this is the case or not.

She has well developed calves and ankles, which is generally where all the pain and issues come from.  I am curious what other people have found that works with this anatomy.  I understand people may not want to come right out and advertise, but I would really appreciate a PM if that is the case. 

We are tired of buy boots and sending them right back.  We are in RI and have not made it to any of the boot fitters in Keene Valley or North Conway. 

Weight is certainly a major criteria, a proper fitting boot that is too heavy will not work.  We are also favoring a stiffer boot, ideally 110 or higher.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2017 08:27 #229414 by mfonda
Out of curiosity, which alpine boot did she find works well?

• jakedouglas
  • [jakedouglas]
More
05 Apr 2017 08:56 #229415 by jakedouglas
Replied by jakedouglas on topic Re: Ski Boots for Women with Large Calves / Ankles?
My wife is now in the Scarpa F1 and this is one of very few boots that was able to close properly with continuous coverage around the calf area. Almost all other boots had to be set to the most spacious setting and then had gaps on either side of the liner tongue.

Previously she was in Dynafit ONEs with the top inch or so of plastic sawed off the back of the calf area and roughly half of the liner material removed in that area. It worked but the F1 seems to be much better so far.

She has "normal" ankles so I don't know how that will work for you but it might be worth a shot.

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
05 Apr 2017 15:16 #229419 by dave095790
Alpine Boot is the Technica Pheonix 80, bought them in FL of all places. Heat molded at the shop, may be why they fit so well; but all the other boots we have tried don't seem close enough to even mold/punch.

Jake, thanks for the pointer. We'll give that a shot. I'd be willing to do some serious modification if needed, but like the molding, we need to a boot that is close enough before the final modifications can take place ...

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
05 Apr 2017 16:47 #229421 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: Ski Boots for Women with Large Calves / Ankles?
Black Diamond Quadrant 120 Flex (4 buckle) or Prime 110 Flex ( 3 buckle) - I don't think BD is making these any more, but you can find last years online and at ski shops.

A lot of the Tecnica boots might work also.

....just my observation from my own boot shopping - I can't buckle the other brands either (Scarpa, etc).

More
06 Apr 2017 06:50 #229426 by blitz
Has she tried men's boots?

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Apr 2017 06:59 #229434 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Ski Boots for Women with Large Calves / Ankles?
I'm stumped.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
07 Apr 2017 10:06 #229438 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Ski Boots for Women with Large Calves / Ankles?
Even if you did make it up north to either Keene Valley, Burlington, or North Conway, this is still probably your best option:
skimo.co/boot-fitter

More
07 Apr 2017 12:03 #229442 by cjg77
FWIW- During my women's touring boot search this past winter, I found the backland to be extremely narrow around the ankle (and I have pretty skinny ankles) The boot fitter even made a comment about how the ankle fit is the biggest complaint he hears about that boot.

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
12 Apr 2017 15:23 #229485 by dave095790
Scarpa F1 seems to be the best fit that we have found; they were tolerable (and borderline comfortable) out of the box. She should get a day or two this season still to try them out.

Thanks for the advice.

• jakedouglas
  • [jakedouglas]
More
12 Apr 2017 16:14 #229486 by jakedouglas
Replied by jakedouglas on topic Re: Ski Boots for Women with Large Calves / Ankles?
Glad to hear those might work out.

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
30 Apr 2017 18:03 #229604 by dave095790
To follow up. She skinned in the F1 yesterday on a balmy day at Jay Peak for a total of 400 vert. It was a miracle she could even wear them in the parking lot, but to get up 400 vert means that they are close enough - nothing a foot bed, meat molding, and punch here or there can't fix.

She is a 26.5, and we got a 27. Same shell size, but a slightly more volume in the liner.

Thanks for the input.