Blackcomb 3/30/17 Alltime Day

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Mar 2017 23:15 #229380 by avajane
Blackcomb 3/30/17 Alltime Day was created by avajane
When it's been snowing for weeks, and you get a bluebird day at Whistler Blackcomb at the end of a big snow year, it's going to be great and it was. After a big powder day yesterday in bad visibility, today dawned clear and still with 6+ inches in the Alpine. Lakeside Bowl may have been the run of the day at 9:30. But then at 10 we skied trackless powder on the Spearhead side of Blackcomb Glacier. Next was a perfect Spankey's run down Diamond Bowl followed by none other than the Couloir Extreme. We wanted a Secret Bowl or Cougar Chutes lap but ended up in Heavenly Basin soft bumps. Somehow we also ended up on the Bite and Overbite before we went back up Spankey's for a 3rd and 4th lap on a Diamond Bowl alternate start, and a variation on Ruby Bowl staying out of the sun. All in all we had over 32,000 vertical on a steeps, bumps, and powder day. One of my best skiing days ever!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eric Lindahl
  • [ejlindahl]
More
31 Mar 2017 15:57 #229381 by Eric Lindahl
Replied by Eric Lindahl on topic Re: Blackcomb 3/30/17 Alltime Day
Wife and I got lucky and were up there too, on the Whistler side. Waited in the Peak Chair line right off the bat with the 200 or so other faithful til it opened around 930-10. We back-of-the-line late arrivers were entertained by the early birds'' first lap down the creamy cake-ish like snow. Roaring cheers went up from the lift line crowd at some of the awesome air off the cliff band near the bottom. One very nice floating back flip off a 50 something footer. A real carnival atmosphere. Oh and the skiing was great all day. Did multiple Peak to Red Chair laps most of the day. Went over to BC to hit the 7th Heaven and spankys for old time sake but they closed the T Bar and 7th because the sun had caused a weakened layer on/above those slopes. Spankys was more fun anyway. Fantastic soft powder bumps on the Peak wrapped up this best day of my foreshortened season. There sure is ton of snow up there.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Mar 2017 19:44 #229387 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: Blackcomb 3/30/17 Alltime Day
Peak Chair line up on a day like that is a treasure! I got 3rd Chair the day before but with zero visibility until the trees. The snow yesterday was so good I think everyone put in their best effort to ride hard and long! Didn't even want to eat lunch. Those days don't come often.

• Eric Lindahl
  • [ejlindahl]
More
01 Apr 2017 12:51 #229393 by Eric Lindahl
Replied by Eric Lindahl on topic Re: Blackcomb 3/30/17 Alltime Day
Yep, pb&j on the chair is the go to lunch most days and glad I had one then. The day before, along with the fog, you forgot to mention high wind and full-on storm. Grit was needed for multiple Peak laps. Felt like gramps feeling my way through the maelstrom. Next day, the 30th, I was a kid again.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Apr 2017 10:40 #229396 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: Blackcomb 3/30/17 Alltime Day
Yes, a large percentage of Wednesday skiers would have called it a bad day. We had to work hard as well for the deepest, lightest, most trackless powder I've ever skied at the end of March.