telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 06:45 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Weak Layers: decision making in avalanche terrain
| | |-+  Common BC radio channel?
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Common BC radio channel?  (Read 2077 times)
Jason4

Common BC radio channel?
« on: 03/27/17, 01:02 PM »

Is there a common radio channel that skiers are using in the backcountry in the Cascades? 

A party I was in nearly knocked a wet slide on another party in the skin track below our exit from a saddle, by the time I got to where I was going and turned around to see what was going on I was too far from the other party do communicate easily with them and it would have been nice to have a common channel to flick my radio to. 

I have a BCA Link radio and it came with "E" set to 9-11 which I've left and associate E with Emergency.  I'd be up for changing "C" to something common, maybe 4-20 since that seems to be a common reason for people to stop for "safety breaks"...

What's the common collective here think of the idea of having a common channel that we can use to talk to other parties when there's something worth saying?

Free your heel, free your mind.
Fix your heel, fix your problem.
- Pred, 2013
Ian
5Member

Re: Common BC radio channel?
« Reply #1 on: 03/27/17, 01:46 PM »

Several other regions have adopted common channels and it seems like its gone over well. Telluride was the first (that I know of), apparently at this point it is being used by pretty much all the local ski tourers.

http://www.telluridemountainclub.org/backcountryradios/
Jason4

« Reply #2 on: 03/28/17, 09:30 AM »

It sounds like the expectation in Bear Creek is that everyone will always be on channel 4-4 at all times.  I guess that could work in the Cascades if we segregate the radio channels for touring use only and not using it in the ski area just to keep random chatter off the radio. 

I was thinking more along the lines of having a channel dedicated to just my group and another available if someone yelled "common" at me or something similar.

Does anyone have a preference for a channel to use?  It seems like 4-4 might be good since it's already in use by other backcountry skiers.  If we can get support as a community I'll try touring in the Bagley Bowl area with a common channel to see how bad the chatter is.

- Pred, 2013
Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #3 on: 03/28/17, 02:22 PM »

A good common channel will be one of the GMRS channels.

If you've skied in a region with a common channel, how have you arranged to avoid inter-party confusion?

We're pretty new to touring regularly with radios, but we like them a lot. When running multiple WAC parties in one region or when our channel has overlapped with another party's, we and others have had trouble differentiating groups.

Clear enunciation of names helps, but there are lots of duplicate names in the world. Communication at the edge of radio range can be pretty confusing for a neighboring party, too.

freeski

« Reply #4 on: 03/28/17, 03:09 PM »

Reality check.

nwac-check
first aid kit-check
airbag-check
shovel-check
probe-check
saw-check
transciever-check
avalung-check
helmit-check
radio-check
brain on drugs-check

just saying

"I'm not making love to anyones wishes, only for that light I see." Cat Stevens
Jason4

« Reply #5 on: 03/28/17, 03:28 PM »

Charlie, those are some of the same concerns that I have too and why I didn't think I wanted a common channel that I'd use all the time but some channel that everyone would know to go to for communication between parties.

I used to use radios a lot in the ski area but there is too much random chatter and noise on the radio that's distracting.  I don't know if that's better now or not.

Freeski, I don't have an airbag yet but I've mostly accepted that it will happen in the next year or so.  The rest of your check list except for the avalung is standard for my pack too. 

I'm not convinced that we can use radios for communication between parties and keep it civil but I would have loved to have been able to check in with the group that we almost knocked off the skin track and it would have been nice to have talked to a party that was peeling skins while standing on a cornice above the skin track out of Mazama Bowl that same day.

- Pred, 2013
freeski

« Reply #6 on: 03/28/17, 06:11 PM »

Good point about how to keep it civil between groups that are unknown to each other.

Face to face communication  can  be strained when another group enters an area that has the possibility to place your group at increased risk of harm.     

Also should add that the point of my first post is that with all the gadgets we carry and think are important, the most important thing on that list is a functioning brain. However, there's an elephant in the room.
« Last Edit: 03/28/17, 10:01 PM by freeski » Logged

"I'm not making love to anyones wishes, only for that light I see." Cat Stevens
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.