Home > Trip Reports > March 26, 2017, Artists Point, Table Mountain Pow

March 26, 2017, Artists Point, Table Mountain Pow

3/26/17
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Kiddch on 3/27/17 1:39am
After 36 inches the previous 4 days and some challenging visibility (in the knee deep pow) in bounds at Baker on Saturday we were hoping the snow on Sunday would hold of until noonish like forecast, but that didn't happen!  Started at the Heather Meadows base and skinned out to Artists Point, then up Table in wind driven snow and whiteout conditions.  My brother and I were out with Jere from Mt. Baker Mountain Guides.  I think we worked the W-NW aspect off Ptarmigan.  A challenging and slow skin in found wind affected, punchy snow near the ridge, with varying powder conditions (slightly heavier low, lighter high, wind affected near the ridge) but soft, with plenty of knee deep powder and face shots from the tree line down.  Other than some minor wind slab off wind blown spines near the ridge, the moderate forecast for near tree line and below proved accurate.  Skied 750 ft vertical laps on untracked slopes pushing 38 degrees without issue.  No sloughing, no instabilities observed.  What a great day, despite the raging storm that dropped several inches during the day and another 7 last night.

I'll try and get some photos up later.
Thanks for the trip report and welcome to TAY  8)
That whole Table/Ptarmigan area has excellent accessible terrain in all seasons.

Reply to this TR

march-26-2017-artists-point-table-mountain-pow
Kiddch
2017-03-27 08:39:07