telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/22/17, 02:13 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Crystal - 3/24
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal - 3/24  (Read 2118 times)
CD

Crystal - 3/24
« on: 03/24/17, 03:30 PM »

The mountain received 9 inches of wet, heavy snow early this morning after all the grooming had been done.  When it was skied on, it quickly packed into setting concrete making all the groomers really difficult.  After we skied several runs down the front side, the light turned green for C6 which had a late start because they had to dig out the top.  Many fine runs on the Campbell Basin side of the chair, each time avoiding our previous tracks.  The heft of the snow required steep slopes and high speed runs, which the smoothness on C6 delivered.  Once it was skied out, we headed down Powder Bowl (left) and could feel the frozen Elephant heads buried under the new snow.  Headed to Northway for runs down Paradise Bowl left (trees), Penny Dawgs, and Horseshoe Chutes.  Took one more run in GV and decided to head for home as the whole mountain was setting up.

Great for coverage, but if this heavy stuff freezes tonight without much new, it will be groomers only tomorrow, except for the highest elevations.
CMSkier

Re: Crystal - 3/24
« Reply #1 on: 03/24/17, 05:26 PM »

Lots of heavy new snow didn’t deter the strong northwest skiers. Unfortunately, Crystal’s renowned early opening of “chairs” only means Chinook and FQ. Rex opened 30 minutes late, Six after an hour, and Northway even later (unless you were a Cliff Jump Competitor). And since C-3 was broken, the Rex area got cut quickly. Not before we got our share, but the cut up heavy new was on the Not Nice end of the spectrum. Insert CD’s report here. Add - We got our first two runs down Sphincterville of the year. Great.

Really warm by noon and hit the don’t-want-to-ski-this threshold. Will be frozen hell off-piste when temps drop. New snow please. Or, where is this thing called Spring I keep hearing about?

Ken
+

Kkz
everestbigbill
5Member

Re: Crystal - 3/24
« Reply #2 on: 03/24/17, 06:01 PM »

Pulled in to my E lot spot LATE.. I had a friend that had skied only 6 other times with me.................................My bad to be a friend, I was on queens and it skied well, a little too deep for my new guy, but what the hey, we all have to start somewhere.............Ran in to Linika and he was full on stoke, he was getting it all, PB. Cache run, this guy is a frinkin hero  and I was , like Queens skied deep today. I saw all of you going up six and I was like Queens is a little sketch today, it's a little deep....................Thank you Lisa P for always being the BEACON of Crystal and thank you to the Pros for making Queens safe...... man did it look good today. No soup or Elk, no legs to walk to the ELK.............. I will never do that again, on a 9" inch day, but Karma, please pay me back, soon.
« Last Edit: 03/24/17, 06:52 PM by everestbigbill » Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.