Home > Forum > Eastern Sierras advice for spur of the moment trip

Eastern Sierras advice for spur of the moment trip

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
21 Mar 2017 08:23 - 21 Mar 2017 08:44 #154680 by Pete A
The wife and I are probably using her spring break to do a spur of the moment trip to the Sierras next week.   We've backpacked the John Muir trail and the Sierra High Route but have done zero Sierras skiing research at this point- we just know that its a ridiculous season down there and we wanna ski the Sierras this year.

We'll only have four days to tour - so we're trying to make the most of our limited time.   Getting some good views and enjoying some fun routes take importance over getting rad or skiing something super steep.

Any suggestions on where to head, which trailheads to ski out of, mountains to hit, guidebooks to try and scrounge up at the last minute would be greatly appreciated.    Ideally we'd like to ski stuff  out of Bishop and/or Independence...probably won't venture as far north as Lee Vining/Mammoth unless we're really missing out.

Last edit: 21 Mar 2017 08:44 by Pete A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2017 10:15 #154684 by Aleksey
www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Skiing-Califo...Sierra/dp/1560449136

a great resource. anything from month long epic journeys to day trips. highly recommend
i have a copy you could borrow, send a pm maybe timing works out
the range of light with zero dirt hiking and excellent snow pack. right on!!

• Nate Frederickson
  • [natefred]
More
21 Mar 2017 10:50 #154685 by Nate Frederickson
Replied by Nate Frederickson on topic Re: Eastern Sierras advice for spur of the moment trip
John Moynier's book is good. If you make it to Bishop, heading up the Sherwin grade towards Mammoth is a short hop and gets you 3,000'  higher up the road, (4K to Mammoth). It's worth going up there for a soak in the hot springs and you'll probably find several places you'd like to ski just north of Bishop. If car camping and overnight temperatures are tolerable at 7K, camping near one of the tubs mid-week could be the ticket. The tubs aren't so secret that you won't be able to find directions. Once you're up there, you might like to head over to June Lake if you like villages tucked in the mountains. Bishop and towns south of there are concentrated right on 395 in the valley and not as quaint. Mammoth isn't so quaint either, but you can get good access & conditions beta at the multitude of shops (Mammoth Mountaineering probably best), and perhaps surprisingly there are some affordable lodging options there.

I've only hit a few things that way, Mammoth Crest, the Sherwins, Tioga Pass, Whitney. Mostly I skied the resort the season I spent there and spent weekends climbing. All good, just pick whatever seems best for access/weather/conditions next week, you sure won't get bored!