telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/17/17, 01:11 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Crystal - 03/16
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal - 03/16  (Read 3055 times)
ddk

Crystal - 03/16
« on: 03/16/17, 04:26 PM »

Little words report – Nobody around, big sunny nice high speed screamer icy (very firm) groomers early, lots of things to look at and some early pokes proved accurate on the bigger things, never a lift line, not many folks to ride the lifts with, prime donut hole conditions all morning, getting softer on the main freeways of REX….a very happy hamster day! Especially when HC opened! Smiley

To many words report – Was starting to get the shacks from skiing withdrawl…temps this morning looked cold enough, no precip…GO!  Arrived early to a front row parking spot. Nice lazy early casual sit in the base lodge…and then… Jumped into the second loading chair with #1 on CHex…one more chair full of folks behind us before the early glut ended…Lucky and MIFB both fast (and smooth enough) early groomers…softening in the early sun…but PB just looked big in the wide smooth untracked/ not slide bolder areas…and my oh my it was…got first two set of first tracks skier right side of the main spine – gotta say they were sweet smooth great vis happy lines – for the BMW’s (wow first time out of the garage in a couple of months…and they were happy to be on snow again….later in the day a few runs would have been happier with the Coombas…but start with a pair and that’s the ski for the day).
Lots of nasty lumps all over the place – GV Bowl looked like shark teeth boulders as also much of the front side of REX…but places could be found…totally smooth untracked spots with a few inches of new – sweet heaven. (must be some pretty sweet lines waiting out in the areas that haven’t been skied…eskinmo?.)  Best for me was a PB line of untracked fun (skier right side)…though the last time I did it early afternoon…clouds blowing in filtering the sun and maybe to much skier traffic and still colder sun dropping temps…not as happy.  #1 said that FQex runs were firmer than she liked...definitely a use your edges kinda day.  No sun, no soft.

Other – Got bigger lucky with another nice bowl of Chicken Noodle at CB lodge (and since we asked them for some gluten free hamburger buns – special delivery - #1 was very happy also).  Casual crowd all day, pay lot was reasonable and typically not full…rest of the lots where ghost towns.  Drive up after getting past all the dump trucks early morning in the low lands was fast and driving down was even faster… would have been a great drive even if Scotsman had been on the road! Grin love spring roads and traffic…Big Green Day tomorrow…be ready!  Did I ever say I like my BMW’s?  Wink Been a long time this season of to many pow days and Coombas!
« Last Edit: 03/16/17, 04:31 PM by ddk » Logged
eskinmo

Re: Crystal - 03/16
« Reply #1 on: 03/16/17, 05:57 PM »

extra firm groomers first hour,someone said ,"This is like human curling" it was ....then better and better ......lower bull was great .....and memorial had it's moment....then too soft .....my first day of real spring skiing this season.....never skied 6 ,gondola all day ...The avalanche cycle that was visible in every direction was impressive This was the forth major multiday rain event since jan 1st, and the warmest the snow around the outside of the resort was the most slid I ve seen.....and there was a roller ball as big as a fridge on lucky shot with a very long over a foot deep path behind it, one of many.Lots of good spring turns....mnt back in recovery mode, with a fresh rain layer T2B
Griff

« Reply #2 on: 03/16/17, 07:46 PM »

^^^^^ Not sure which quote is more funny, the withdrawals from no skiing (amen) or the human curling.
CascadeSkier
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 03/16/17, 08:06 PM »

CONS: post-rain carnage, nasty trees, nasty anything in shade (hmmmm...not sure about that PW report), below average grooming, traverse under RockFace, Hamburger, old Chair Line #1, BPits (in/out quick), sparse food menu

PROS: ...IceBerg Gulch (Middle Ferk's, 3x), Willie's Run environs (3x), Campbell Basin but only along Bear Pits rope line (3x), middle - lower E (2x), no lines or crowds...

...much better than expected, but even Gully Gully after warm temps and filtered sun was still chunky/lumpy...didn't see anybody on PW...today was a day where only exposed terrain was tolerable...but nice to ski all day without hardly anybody else though...1-2" freshie up top really things out

...as long as you stayed out of the chunk, it was easy-peasy --  lot of slides all over -- kudos to Patrol once again
Scotsman

« Reply #4 on: 03/16/17, 08:57 PM »

Thank goodness... the boys are back in town.... I was getting worried that you all had hydrophobia.
Wish I was skiing...I'd take icy groomers over work any day.

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
CD

« Reply #5 on: 03/17/17, 08:26 AM »

Jeez, you guys.  I must apologize for one of the worst rain delays this season.  I mean, I leave for our two week ski trip where I get mostly sunny conditions and Crystal gets dumped on with snow.  Then, the very day I return to Puget Sound, the rain starts and just doesn't let up.  Until yesterday.  Hopefully, the damage my return has done is finally over. 
Scotsman

« Reply #6 on: 03/17/17, 11:31 AM »

Jeez, you guys.  I must apologize for one of the worst rain delays this season.  I mean, I leave for our two week ski trip where I get mostly sunny conditions and Crystal gets dumped on with snow.  Then, the very day I return to Puget Sound, the rain starts and just doesn't let up.  Until yesterday.  Hopefully, the damage my return has done is finally over. 

I got it covered CD... my turn to take one for the team... I'm heading to Haines, AK from 23 rd to 28th for a few days ski touring and a day of heli so I'm sure it will puke at Crystal during that time.

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.