telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/23/17, 06:47 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Crystal - 03/12
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal - 03/12  (Read 2094 times)
ddk

Crystal - 03/12
« on: 03/12/17, 04:05 PM »

Grin Little words report – Nice early, very small crowd, blue sky and filtered sun early, great vis, icy firm groomers, off piste looked like crap off REX, but….Hamster always find happiness in the Treadmill. A little fuzzy vis at times and a little damp early afternoon…but otherwise a very good day. Glad I missed yesterday, Very glad I didn’t miss today!

Lots of words report – Arrived extra early…just in case…not a problem, probably only 6 or 8 chairs worth of folks early on  CHex.  Great vis, fast screamer runs on Lucky and MIFB early – with the bonus of realizing that Pro Course area (way skier right of GV Bowl) was nice enough deep enough and not frozen enough to be happy (later I realized that the main bowl was also happy enough to ski – for the Coombas!...and they were very happy many times today).  Actually started slow and wimpy…but after the first run into BP’s (looked like a mine field of boulders – was actually a nice easy field of soft lumps and soft sunny and soft go anywhere fun…got even better later after more traffic carved out some nice soft spring bounce around lines)….Other places never made prime time – tried SunnySide – got pushed left to M-World and then got pushed right to the GULLY…which was doable – once.  Fun things today – PB when I could see it (second trip mid afternoon – wish I had done it a bunch of time early morning when the vis was prime).  BP’s late morning to early afternoon was prime soft spring.  Valley had some nice areas…though I didn’t ski there much.  Finished the day out Kelly’s Gap and Lower E…Lower E was big bumps and soft enough to have fun.  Met a new friend – Todd …(sp)….very good skier and very nice to talk to on the lifts – Thanks! Always nice to talk to many new happy folks.  Never stood in a lift line ...actually didnt ride with many folks on the lifts today. Season is over.

Other – CB lodge soup was a bonus today…Chicken Noodle big bowl (thanks Miranda – she is very nice to me) and they also had the Triple C…Base soup was Triple C also (must have a lot of bags of that).  Thanks also to Chase (cashier at CB lodge) for the great old folks music he plays!

Other Other – Pay lot weekend typical and today sadly not full, rest of A, most of C and a lot of B full of cars.  Drive up pleasant fast and easy, drive down was like Indy 500 race – never been tailgated that fast down the Blvd!...and most of the rest of 410.   Great day all in all…the withdrawal symptoms were definitely getting intense yesterday….Did I say the Coombas where very happy today?  They made me happy.
PS - Would be nice to know what NW was like? or the folks I saw skiing off the King? or anywhere else?
« Last Edit: 03/12/17, 04:13 PM by ddk » Logged
Scotsman

Re: Crystal - 03/12
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/17, 04:54 PM »

Accurate report ddk.
Got there  mid-morning due to not adjusting clock for spring forward(duh!)
Couple of warm up T2B's via MFIB and Lower Bull then I met up with an old friend Joedabaker.
We headed out NW and dropped in Gate 4, tight right which skied surprisingly good. NW was deserted and skiing good.  Based upon that result we decided to ski some untracked snow...so we headed out Dirty Dog Traverse and skied Magic Trees... Mistake... trap crust..aggressive skiing required to stay erect .

Then out SB and skied Silver Basin out by Gorilla Chute vicinity, not bad,variable and again aggressive skiing required. We thought low angle FFF would be good so we headed across the3-Way apron to FFF.... Mistake.. FFF had thin layer on Hard crust that was very difficult to ski gracefully.

After that, the sun came out and we made an aborted attempt on the Tube thinking it may have softened. It was crusty and would have required a lot of skiers to make it good so we lapped MFIB/LB at mach looney until final bell.
Excellent day.

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.