Home > Forum > Low grip skins for prolonged flats?

Low grip skins for prolonged flats?

• thunderchief
  • [thunderchief]
More
11 Mar 2017 18:25 #229172 by thunderchief
Low grip skins for prolonged flats? was created by thunderchief
Lets say I am skinning along a long flat unplowed road to access something I think will be fun many miles in. I'd want more glide and less grip than normal, but not quite the 0 grip of skinless downhill mode. More cross country regime of grip verse glide... but I don't want to drag those with me. Is there something one of you would recommend for this?

Has anyone tried, say, a thin segment of skin cut from a pair of old skins... to give only a minor amount of grip?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Specialized
  • [Specialized]
More
11 Mar 2017 18:54 #229173 by Specialized
Replied by Specialized on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
Why not get skins known for glide versus what you seem to be proposing which is a dual-skin solution (which, by the way sounds like a horrid deal to have to make)?

• jakedouglas
  • [jakedouglas]
More
11 Mar 2017 19:10 #229174 by jakedouglas
Replied by jakedouglas on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
Skimo race skins.

• bfree32
  • [bfree32]
More
11 Mar 2017 19:33 #229175 by bfree32
Replied by bfree32 on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
I don't think it's such a bad idea, give it a shot and post back with the results.

Some would suggest fishscale skis for such a thing.

• Nate Frederickson
  • [natefred]
More
11 Mar 2017 21:21 #229178 by Nate Frederickson
Replied by Nate Frederickson on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
One thing I've tried for flats is putting a skin on one ski. Switch the ski to the other foot when you get tired of "skateboarding" on that side.

More
11 Mar 2017 21:34 #229179 by Aleksey
Replied by Aleksey on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
mohair skin cut to about 2-4 inches,(more 2 than 4 unless ur cruising fatties) running 3/4 the length of ski. if its flat enough to skate your edges are exposed enough for some glide, if not this is plenty of traction to climb most fs roads. boots with high degree of articulation are a huge help in elongating your stride.
work well as a second emergency escape sort of skin, especially if you carry enough voile straps to tie em in the back. try making the width work so that if you were to put them together you'd get one whole size skin.
there are sites that sell mohair and my favoritte (the bd mohair mix) by the meter i believe
pure mohair will be wet in spring conditions in a very short time but the mix seems to be the best of both worlds
those scale situations are iffy....they never really bite enough that you dont slide back here and there and the rhythm is thrown off. at least as you really get climbing and with my less than perfect technique. also the glide is noticeably worse on the way down. to me the scales are nice for a walk but as an approach vehicle i am doubtful.
check out luc mehl's site. those guys are putting dynafits on cc skis, but thats a whole different ballgame. i assume you have actual turns in mind.
if this is about hwy 20 or cc river road....shoot a pm
cheers!

skimo.co/skin-parts

www.barrabes.world/skiing--snowshoeing/s...kins/dep-800030400-d

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
11 Mar 2017 21:54 #229180 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
Once in a while my partner will use skinny skins on road approaches. It works great until there is any side slope and then his exposed base contacts the snow and his stride is interrupted and usually there is cursing.

More
11 Mar 2017 22:31 #229181 by Aleksey
Replied by Aleksey on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?

Once in a while my partner will use skinny skins on road approaches. It works great until there is any side slope and then his exposed base contacts the snow and his stride is interrupted and usually there is cursing.

agreed, though ive made em work on an actual lap of skinning. my abs were screaming for a week.
if you want to get real mad try kicker skins.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Mar 2017 08:57 #229182 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
If you like to do a bunch of that, try out The Voile Objecctive BC (80-82 mm waist, ~5 lbd) or Vector BC (98 mm waist).  I have Vector BC mounted with Speed Radicals, here's review: Vector BC review .  I bought these before the Objective came out; i migh well have bought the Objectives instead.

More
12 Mar 2017 15:15 #229185 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
I have a skinny skin setup that I've used quite happily. I re-purposed an old pair of straight skins for skis I got rid of years ago. It work great in just the right application. Here are the caveats: side hilling is awful, soft snow can cause issues, and it only works on super mellow grades. I use the setup a couple times each spring for road approaches, with full sized skins in the pack for when I get to the real skiing. I'd recommend only using it on routes you know well, it can be super frustrating to encounter a 15 ft hill or some other obstacle that you didn't expect and can't climb with the limited grip.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Mar 2017 18:16 #229192 by Randito

More
12 Mar 2017 22:52 #229197 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?

I have a skinny skin setup that I've used quite happily.

I call them bikini skins at 50mm, works great and dont weigh much.

I also carry the Swix blue extra 40 for cold days. I never  had much luck with the warmer waxes.

• thunderchief
  • [thunderchief]
More
14 Mar 2017 09:37 #229219 by thunderchief
Replied by thunderchief on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to reglue and cut down to about an inch or 2 wide an old pair of skins... see how it works.

Thanks!

More
15 Mar 2017 11:55 #229228 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
I tend to be a fan of found materials, especially when kayaking, but you can do it too when skinning.  Choosing the right conifer branch can work surprisingly well.  Fir is good because the needles are fairly dense and will orient themselves as needed.  Pine is probably the best, though because the needle bunches are all swept in one direction.  Pine branches tend to be a bit heavier at the butt so need to be lashed well high on the shovel of the ski to keep them from digging in.  A couple of Voile straps in front of the binding  and one behind should be about right to fine tune the attachment.  Hope this helps..

More
15 Mar 2017 13:42 #229229 by Bronco
Replied by Bronco on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?

I tend to be a fan of found materials, especially when kayaking, but you can do it too when skinning.  Choosing the right conifer branch can work surprisingly well.  Fir is good because the needles are fairly dense and will orient themselves as needed.  Pine is probably the best, though because the needle bunches are all swept in one direction.  Pine branches tend to be a bit heavier at the butt so need to be lashed well high on the shovel of the ski to keep them from digging in.  A couple of Voile straps in front of the binding  and one behind should be about right to fine tune the attachment.  Hope this helps..

I may start doing this at the parking lot, just to see how my partners react.

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
15 Mar 2017 13:53 #229230 by David_Lowry
Replied by David_Lowry on topic Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
Anyone tried grip tape and is it any better or worse than warm wax? Will kick wax foul skin glue?