telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/29/17, 04:34 AM

Support Snohomish County's
Helicopter Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?  (Read 1906 times)
thunderchief
5Member

Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
« on: 03/11/17, 06:25 PM »

Lets say I am skinning along a long flat unplowed road to access something I think will be fun many miles in.  I'd want more glide and less grip than normal, but not quite the 0 grip of skinless downhill mode.  More cross country regime of grip verse glide... but I don't want to drag those with me.  Is there something one of you would recommend for this?

Has anyone tried, say, a thin segment of skin cut from a pair of old skins... to give only a minor amount of grip?
Specialized
5Member

Re: Low grip skins for prolonged flats?
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/17, 06:54 PM »

Why not get skins known for glide versus what you seem to be proposing which is a dual-skin solution (which, by the way sounds like a horrid deal to have to make)?
jakedouglas

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/17, 07:10 PM »

Skimo race skins.
bfree32

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/17, 07:33 PM »

I don't think it's such a bad idea, give it a shot and post back with the results.

Some would suggest fishscale skis for such a thing.
natefred

« Reply #4 on: 03/11/17, 09:21 PM »

One thing I've tried for flats is putting a skin on one ski. Switch the ski to the other foot when you get tired of "skateboarding" on that side.
Aleksey
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 03/11/17, 09:34 PM »

mohair skin cut to about 2-4 inches,(more 2 than 4 unless ur cruising fatties) running 3/4 the length of ski. if its flat enough to skate your edges are exposed enough for some glide, if not this is plenty of traction to climb most fs roads. boots with high degree of articulation are a huge help in elongating your stride.
work well as a second emergency escape sort of skin, especially if you carry enough voile straps to tie em in the back. try making the width work so that if you were to put them together you'd get one whole size skin.
there are sites that sell mohair and my favoritte (the bd mohair mix) by the meter i believe
pure mohair will be wet in spring conditions in a very short time but the mix seems to be the best of both worlds
those scale situations are iffy....they never really bite enough that you dont slide back here and there and the rhythm is thrown off. at least as you really get climbing and with my less than perfect technique. also the glide is noticeably worse on the way down. to me the scales are nice for a walk but as an approach vehicle i am doubtful.
check out luc mehl's site. those guys are putting dynafits on cc skis, but thats a whole different ballgame. i assume you have actual turns in mind.
if this is about hwy 20 or cc river road....shoot a pm
cheers!

http://skimo.co/skin-parts

http://www.barrabes.world/skiing--snowshoeing/ski-touring--freeride-ski-skins/dep-800030400-d
mikerolfs

« Reply #6 on: 03/11/17, 09:54 PM »

Once in a while my partner will use skinny skins on road approaches. It works great until there is any side slope and then his exposed base contacts the snow and his stride is interrupted and usually there is cursing.
Aleksey
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 03/11/17, 10:31 PM »

Once in a while my partner will use skinny skins on road approaches. It works great until there is any side slope and then his exposed base contacts the snow and his stride is interrupted and usually there is cursing.

agreed, though ive made em work on an actual lap of skinning. my abs were screaming for a week.
if you want to get real mad try kicker skins.
Andrew Carey

« Reply #8 on: 03/12/17, 08:57 AM »

If you like to do a bunch of that, try out The Voile Objecctive BC (80-82 mm waist, ~5 lbd) or Vector BC (98 mm waist).  I have Vector BC mounted with Speed Radicals, here's review: Vector BC review.  I bought these before the Objective came out; i migh well have bought the Objectives instead.

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
Ian
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 03/12/17, 03:15 PM »

I have a skinny skin setup that I've used quite happily. I re-purposed an old pair of straight skins for skis I got rid of years ago. It work great in just the right application. Here are the caveats: side hilling is awful, soft snow can cause issues, and it only works on super mellow grades. I use the setup a couple times each spring for road approaches, with full sized skins in the pack for when I get to the real skiing. I'd recommend only using it on routes you know well, it can be super frustrating to encounter a 15 ft hill or some other obstacle that you didn't expect and can't climb with the limited grip.
Randy

« Reply #10 on: 03/12/17, 06:16 PM »

XC ski wax, two wax universal kit.

http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/swix-universal-wax-pack-v40-v60.html
Robie

« Reply #11 on: 03/12/17, 10:52 PM »

I have a skinny skin setup  that I've used quite happily.

I call them bikini skins at  50mm, works great and dont weigh much.

I also carry the Swix blue extra 40 for cold days. I never  had much luck with the warmer waxes.

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
thunderchief
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 03/14/17, 09:37 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  I think I'm going to reglue and cut down to about an inch or 2 wide an old pair of skins... see how it works.

Thanks!
davidG

« Reply #13 on: 03/15/17, 11:55 AM »

I tend to be a fan of found materials, especially when kayaking, but you can do it too when skinning.  Choosing the right conifer branch can work surprisingly well.  Fir is good because the needles are fairly dense and will orient themselves as needed.  Pine is probably the best, though because the needle bunches are all swept in one direction.  Pine branches tend to be a bit heavier at the butt so need to be lashed well high on the shovel of the ski to keep them from digging in.  A couple of Voile straps in front of the binding  and one behind should be about right to fine tune the attachment.  Hope this helps..

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
Bronco
5Member

« Reply #14 on: 03/15/17, 01:42 PM »

I tend to be a fan of found materials, especially when kayaking, but you can do it too when skinning.  Choosing the right conifer branch can work surprisingly well.  Fir is good because the needles are fairly dense and will orient themselves as needed.  Pine is probably the best, though because the needle bunches are all swept in one direction.  Pine branches tend to be a bit heavier at the butt so need to be lashed well high on the shovel of the ski to keep them from digging in.  A couple of Voile straps in front of the binding  and one behind should be about right to fine tune the attachment.  Hope this helps..

I may start doing this at the parking lot, just to see how my partners react.
David_Lowry

« Reply #15 on: 03/15/17, 01:53 PM »

Anyone tried grip tape and is it any better or worse than warm wax? Will kick wax foul skin glue?
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.