Sun Valley BC Question 3/9/11

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
09 Mar 2017 19:40 - 16 Mar 2017 14:23 #154360 by avajane
Sun Valley BC Question 3/9/11 was created by avajane
As this is a good snow year, I was thinking I've seen a few spots where I could find a nice route down to the valley. Anybody done this or could point me in the right direction?

A couple of years ago I accessed a tree run that ended up north east of warm springs but involved trespassing and much walking. I hope to do better...

Brian
Last edit: 16 Mar 2017 14:23 by cmosetick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sunvalleyskier
  • [sunvalleyskier]
More
14 Mar 2017 10:19 - 14 Mar 2017 14:06 #154519 by sunvalleyskier
Replied by sunvalleyskier on topic Re: Sun Valley BC Question 3/9/11
Hey Brian, grew up in SV though I only skied a few days this year around Christmas.  The lower mountain was skiing great though by early January and am imagining that its awesome now.

Its possible to ski south east off Seattle Ridge and end up on the highway near the hospital, then you can catch the bus or x-country up the bike path.  Initial run after you duck the rope heading east/southeast past the ski patrol hut on Seattle is Turkey Bowl, then you can skin or traverse out to the next slope south east.  There are two roads that come out down to the highway; one is sometimes packed from the bottom of Cold Springs chair to the hospital.

Two  shorter but fun ways to ski to the valley floor are Baldy Crags; bomb down the last pitch of Lower College and up to the bench and you can ski down; there is a traverse on a summer hiking trail just above the river back to River Run.  You end up skiing the craggy area between Frenchman's and Lower River Run.  Only skied in there once or twice in the last 15 years, lots of snow needed but this should be the year.  The other area is to come off the cat track to Olympic Lane; there is a bench just after passing Olympic run, and you angle right under the ropes and off the cat track up the ridge.  Then there are a series of chutes headed down towards the highway, there is one bridge across the river which allows you to cross and exit along an easement.  You get to a road that is private but never had anyone mind me using it on foot/skis, and it takes you straight to the bike path and you can ski/walk 10 min back to river run.  Very limited hiking/traversing for these areas. This area is just south of River Run area, probably about 1k vertical of decently steep skiing.

I know it is possible to ski north off the mountain through the Burn and to come out in the valley on Warm Springs road; sounds like this is what you did, not sure about how to avoid the long walk back nor how to respect private property in this area but it is doable.  Otherwise, if you duck the rope headed north from the bowls, just traverse back towards Warm Springs every 800 vertical or so, and you will come in right above the pools at Warm Springs and can traverse back in.  Where you need to traverse to make it back to the area is usually pretty obvious/tracked.  Just be careful coming out at the bottom, the steam from the springs impacts the snow a lot.

My best friend and ski buddy works at Surefoot in Ketchum.  Stop in and ask for John, tell him Kenny sent you for some beta!
Last edit: 14 Mar 2017 14:06 by sunvalleyskier.

• pabloson
  • [pabloson]
More
26 Mar 2017 15:04 #154802 by pabloson
Replied by pabloson on topic Re: Sun Valley BC Question 3/9/11
There are some nice lower altitude runs to be had in the Elk Run (?) neighborhood. Good tree skiing or bowls. No trespassing problems if you poke around a bit and look for the main skin tracks. Shoot me a PM if you need more details.