Home > Trip Reports > March 8, 2017, Bagley Lakes Area

March 8, 2017, Bagley Lakes Area

3/8/17
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by george on 3/8/17 8:30am
Just a heads up, went for a quick look with a plan do do some low hanging fruit kind of turns. Left Heather Meadows lot about 0730, along the creek at the base of Herman's shoulder.

Skinning along the creek, could see a crown line on an east facing ridge down the lower 1/3 of the gulley. Light was so flat I thought it was a wind feature, and couldn't see a debris pile on the creek, where I expected it to be. As I got below the gully, on the other side of the creek, I was suddenly skinning on a crust, until then was knee deep. I looked to the slope beside me and then saw the debris pile, mostly buried in snow. It had run over the creek, and up the other side about 50m. Was spooky, so I hustled out of there. On the S aspect to lookers left of the usual skin track up Herman through the trees, was another pile of debris, mostly covered too. Hard to tell the size of either, because so much snow, and poor visibility. The second one seemed small, and just barely made it to the bottom.

Quietly left for the other side and did some meadow skipping.

Just in case you're out there, it's all going to be buried, it was snowy and windy. Skin tracks were half filled on the way back up. Snow was light and deep.

If anyone went up Herman, would be curious how it was. PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks. George
Russian Roulette?

George.. please read.
https://www.wildsnow.com/10011/alpha-angle-avalanche-safety/

rslg, yes wrong place, right time. I'm not happy about that, and frankly embarrassed to be exposed, but wanted to let others know, as my friends and others that scoot through there, may also be vulnerable to anything left hanging, especially with the evidence buried, and the weather that day, and incoming.
Scotsman, thanks very much for the link. That is a good read, much appreciated, a good reminder. George

That sounds like the remains of the slide that happened Saturday morning that resulted in a full burial and 2 partial burials.  NWAC put a grainy picture up on instagram, I have one taken during a break in the weather that I put up on IG too.  There are 3 separate crown lines that were visible at the same time, the biggest looked to be in the 3-5' range.

TERRAIN TRAP?

Reply to this TR

march-8-2017-bagley-lakes-area
george
2017-03-08 16:30:41