Home > Forum > Crystal 3/8

Crystal 3/8

• Bill
  • [big bill]
More
08 Mar 2017 15:45 - 08 Mar 2017 16:38 #229137 by Bill
Crystal 3/8 was created by Bill
I pulled into the E slot lot and closed the door of the car and bang, stepped right onto the people Mover....boots on and in a bucket just after the stand in line crowd vanished, perfect timing. I was all good from Cold Face to Rinky Dink, Willies Run was money. I did a lucky shot tree's run and was invited in what I saw in Powder B, so up six and untracked on the Crown rope line down to the island of trees just above LS. repeat and I was fried. Great snow and no crowd at all, I could hear the Pro's out South and sounded like the were about done with the King..............next time, I am liking the Gigawatts 195, it's a different feel, but it's all good in the snow that was under foot today.. should be better in the AM. I am sure some of you got way South and had chest deep, good on you. Up Rex and Employee housing out to E lot. Good day in the hills. Thank you Red Jackets for getting things open fast, you guys and gals rock... Saw Lisa Dog T Shirt Lady, what a class act she is and always been.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2017 16:08 #229138 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal 3/8
And a few more words about today....

Little words report – Big, Snowing, New deep in many places, Hamster World, Crowded (for a Wednesday this late in the season), Good Vis (especially in the Doors), PB (deep), BP, SunnySide, Upper and Lower E….and I bet pretty much every where from far North to far South!

To many words report – Tried to arrive early…kinda slow traffic at times, missed out on slot #1 on CHex – picked row two slot #1…which still gets you minus 1 chair when the guy in front of you is on line….Pretty fair sized early crowd, which was also very efficient on cutting up the core….Still managed to get untracked first lines on my fav Hamster runs (also picked those off early afternoon with the snow refills that continued all day).  Actually pretty light crowds, no lift lines in the Hamster world…went all the way to half way to the Throne south and even farther north to Exterminator (for my last way to early last run…(was hard quitting today, snow kept falling, snow kept getting better…OUCH! what a March it had been so far).  Lots of happy people, everything opened from North to South. 

Other – Soup at CB lodge today was Chicken Noodle (and I did get a nice small bowl that tasted good and stayed in my stomach).  Pay lot was bigish and not fullish, a fair number of buses, seems like I remember a fair number of cars in C and B – definitely a big crowd for a Wednesday late season.

We had a great early season and a pretty nice middle season and the end season is way past awesome nice….I really like big sunny slush cup spring days…but gotta say right now this hamster is happily spinning the treadmill. 

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Mar 2017 17:03 #229140 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: Crystal 3/8
It snowed lightly all day. Not refill snowy, but a nice touch.
Letting visibility be our guide worked well, as we stayed between Bear Pits and Employee Housing, subtracting Green Valley.
Somehow the 4” overnight left shin to knee deep everywhere, untracked to slightly tracked fluff all day.
Employee housing at the Green Light was killer. Spent most of the mid-day on Exterminator Area’s deep untracked stashes that lasted till we quit.
Only tracked place was Right Angle - Must have been the run everyone went to early.
A glut waiting for first chair, 3 minutes later walk on - no lines, no one on the pow runs.
Get it early tomorrow, looks like our luck might change going into friday’s storm.

Ken
+

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Mar 2017 20:28 - 08 Mar 2017 21:10 #229141 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Crystal 3/8
Had big plans for the day( South Back)  but after a few runs out G10RL, Shakers, RAR and a G7/ Horseshoe Cliffs, we started skiing with Mrs scotsman and her two girl pals and it was so much fun seeing their enthusiasm for the powder and the runs we were taking them on that we spent most of the day with them. Appropriate as it was "International Woman's Day", and these women rock.

After the gals had decided to head to the Elk to drink some beer ,PNWBrit( Banned) and I headed out the rope-line for a side-country hit as the last run. Cache was deep and appeared stable with no slab formations. Top 2" to 3" was sloughing  fast with you as you skied down and you had a little bow wave in your peripheral vision.

Deep, velvety snow caressing your inner thighs as plumes from your tips washed over your shoulders and face in a white shower of stellar dendrites. It was that good ;D

Skin track had been filled in mostly so we reset it back to Powder Pass.

Awesome day made even better by the smiles on the gals back at the Elk,( coulda been the beer but I think it was the skiing ;))

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
08 Mar 2017 21:34 #229143 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: Crystal 3/8
...another TREE-mendous day, but arrived a tad late as the road through Black Diamond was closed and outside Greenwater we had to wait on a wrecker to clear a nasty wreck (car in ditch, windows busted, air bags deployed etc)...

CONS: tail end of a rhinovirus (hack, spit, cough)

PROS: Patrol, NWay Bowl at opening, EHousing, Shakers Left (tight entrance via gate 10), Hole-in-the-Wall into Lower Right Angle Trees, Throne Chutes into Damn Fine, BPits gate 2, Exterminator into Eagle's (twice and very nice), TLC creekbeds, Boondoggle better than Fardoggle

...as mentioned, boot top+ with many untracked lines, and once again (don't know why) we ignored the frontside...

...after 2 runs, I decided to swap out my 108 mm powder boards (Rossi Soul 7) for my new 88 mm all-mountain (Rossi Experience 88), which was the move of the day, especially since I was able to ski right to the car (next to the buses) and ramble back to the Gondola lickety-split...

...just a few words of caution when venturing thru Hole-in-the-Wall...it is very easy to get cliffed out big time atop Hunter's Rock and the path is not always clear (if there is a path)..the pic shows one of the big rocks with a bud in front for context (gotta get a better camera)...
Attachments: