Home > Forum > Big Sky - 3/7

Big Sky - 3/7

• CD
  • [CD]
More
07 Mar 2017 14:49 #229119 by CD
Big Sky - 3/7 was created by CD
Yesterday, we drove the 180 miles from Jackson Hole to Big Sky. Most of the trip was on two lane snow-covered roads where we went long distances not seeing another car or anything living for that matter. Arrived in Big Sky to a surprise. Our ski in/ski out condo is a 2000 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 3 bath unit. For just the two of us. Someone made a mistake, but since we're paid in full in advance, we're good.

After leaving the crowds of Jackson Hole, the relative solitude of Big Sky was welcomed. The mountain delivered the goods today with a foot of new snow over the past 48 hours. It was cold (0 degrees by one of the thermometers on an upper lift), and the winds were gusting pretty good, sometimes affecting lift operation. But the snow was oh so good.

The new Powder Seeker 6 chair is a marvel. It's a 6 person detachable chair, with each spot an individual bucket that's heated. Extremely comfortable. Then add a cool blue plexiglass bubble and you have one comfy ride up even in cold temps and wind. We spent our morning riding this chair skiing powder, then worked our way over to the new Challenger lift. This was one of our favorite chairs when we were here two years ago, but it was a slow speed triple that was a little brutal. It's now a fixed grip quad, but runs faster than most fixed grip chairs due to the magic carpet loading system that works great. Several runs on challenger until we got too cold and headed for the Madison base and the big bar-in-a-tent for lunch. After lunch we worked our way back across the mountain (with several more runs on the Powder Seeker chair), before ending our day on our favorite runs on the Ramcharger chair. Chairline, Congo, and Ambush Glades all as fun as we remembered. I really like this mountain.

One negative today. The Thunder Wolf quad was down for maintenance. I guess it hasn't run for a couple days. Nice powder and a little more protected from the wind back there. Hopefully, it will be open tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Mar 2017 17:42 #229123 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Big Sky - 3/7
Nice...always wanted to ski there.
Can you let us know when you go on a road trip again because it's been puking snow since you left. :)
I'll put a few turns down your fav home run tomorrow.

• CD
  • [CD]
More
07 Mar 2017 18:34 #229125 by CD
Replied by CD on topic Re: Big Sky - 3/7
I've been following the weather back home. You guys have been getting it good, while I've skied in a lot of sun until today. My wife told me to quit looking at Crystal reports because she was tired about hearing about conditions at home. I just can't help myself.

More
07 Mar 2017 19:38 #229126 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Big Sky - 3/7
Guess this CD vaca gets me off the hook for the Christmas holiday week of 2012 when I went to Maui with #1 for one of her special b-days!  Best ski week ever...till we came back...made many folks sad that we came back...but gotta say Maui was pretty nice also that week..... :) Hope its still good when you get back CD.... ;)