Home > Trip Reports > Mar 7, 2017, Hyak - DEEP

Mar 7, 2017, Hyak - DEEP

3/7/17
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by haggis on 3/7/17 3:00am
Not skinned up at Hyak for years but a lack of partners this morning and the desire to improve my skiing (normally a splitter) had me headed to Hyak.  Stupid deep in spots, bow wave to the knee over my Dhaulagiri's.  My crappy skiing sort of improved until the last run when I wiped out 3 times under the Chair.

Fun times, however the board would have surfed way better but my god, the uphill is sweet as a nut on those boards.  Super fast way to knock out 5k before work!

Dhaulagiri's are 98" under foot...not gonna do it out there right now.  Go 115"+ under foot, you need to quiver up buddy!

Up with the heavily reinforced dawn patrol today(mar 8th)... lots of snow!  Felt a bit heavy and sticky to me... temps seemed to have warmed a bit... but that could be because my skis are also too skinny...

Yeah, it was busy today and a lot heavier than yesterday.  You are right about my skis, 99 is not enough in this stuff.  I normally snowboard/split and just got the skis for volcano/spring skiing as a 1 ski fits all.  Just trying to get my skiing up to at least mediocre standard.  Clearly they don't quite fit the current snowpack but it was fun trying.  Should be awesome in corn season mind you.

Good to see a few familiar faces out there today.

author=ajjenkin link=topic=38063.msg154298#msg154298 date=1488980665]
Dhaulagiri's are 98" under foot...not gonna do it out there right now.  Go 115"+ under foot, you need to quiver up buddy!

AJ!  Just as an FYI, my Dynafit skins can basically be dropped in the snow and they still stick to the ski, they are awesome!  Any joy selling those Volkl new fangled technology skins?

author=thunderchief link=topic=38063.msg154302#msg154302 date=1488992696]
Up with the heavily reinforced dawn patrol today(mar 8th)... lots of snow!  Felt a bit heavy and sticky to me... temps seemed to have warmed a bit... but that could be because my skis are also too skinny...

I had 110mm underfoot and it was still too deep to make turns!  Maybe if Hyak Face were 10 degrees steeper things would be different.

Also, thanks to the three guys who pushed my high-centered Volvo out!  I guess they're probably still up there....

I got stuck too but it was an easy one.  There was a lady in the middle of the lot who high centred her Xi BMW sedan after leaving it overnight.  Probably doesn't take much and we couldn't push it out.  She told me that her tires were new but upon inspection they looked like summer performance ones so not likely to help her much.  Tow truck pulled her out.

Reply to this TR

mar-7-2017-hyak-deep
haggis
2017-03-07 11:00:06