Home > Trip Reports > Mar 3, 2017, Snowdon Peak, Naked Lady Couloir

Mar 3, 2017, Snowdon Peak, Naked Lady Couloir

3/3/17
Posted by skykilo on 3/6/17 12:46am
Last week was my 38th birthday.  Made a birthday trip to BC ski in the Durango-Silverton region of the San Juan mountains, Colorado.  By dint of some very kind Durangoers, we had the gratis use of a condo at Purgatory for our whole trip.  Spent $100 at (big blue box) in Durango total for whole trip, ate very well, and skied tons of pow.  Highlight of trip was Naked Lady Couloir on Snowdon Peak.

We managed to ski it from the top of the couloir.  Exit had a 60-degree-ish windslab over rocks, interesting.  Stopped short of summit when more prevalent windslabs barred the way, very exposed up there, cool peak!  Sidestepped entrance with ice ax, not too bad.  Good snow in couloir, bottom half had already pooped which was very helpful on the ascent.

The truth is, it's all about the apron.  Right, Micah?

Happy birthday to me!

Big thanks to my wife for watching our young boys so I could play!  Four days of pow, yay.  It seemed like they had grown when I got home.  And it seems like Kaj wants to go skiing now.
Looks fantastic Sky! Happy Birthday to you too! Sounds like it was a great trip. Glad to see you are still getting after it down there.

Thanks for the report too!

Happy birthday, and thank you for the stoke-from-afar!

Here's to many, many more.

Nice birthday turns buddy!

Awesome  dood!  Happy birthday!

Beautiful! Looks cool and dry! Thanks for sharing.

Very Nice Sky! I'll show this to Cyril next week:-)

Wow, looks fantastic. And happy birthday!

Reply to this TR

mar-3-2017-snowdon-peak-naked-lady-couloir
skykilo
2017-03-06 08:46:55