telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
03/29/17, 04:05 AM

Support Snohomish County's
Helicopter Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  NCH Heli-guide Ok
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCH Heli-guide Ok  (Read 1388 times)
freeski

NCH Heli-guide Ok
« on: 03/05/17, 05:50 PM »

NWAC reports a full burial of a skier in Cedar Creek, North Cascades on march 4th.

I haven't read the report but i'm told that once again, nwac is not reporting that this incident involved a NCH heli-guide.

Why is that important? 1.Because if a very experienced guide can get caught, well so can you or I.

2. I beiieve that all guide-outfitters should be transparent in all aspects of their operation, while operating on public land.

3. It respects a client's rights to be informed about actual risk that clients take and that the guy doing the slope test skiing takes on their behalf. 

This is a serious near-miss avalanche incident. It is only because my dear friend is ok that i am able to speak frankly on this matter.

I was out sking slabs yesterday and quite frankly, you do your constant observations and tests and still you realise that your steep tree glade slaby storm snow slope could go. 

Spatial variability is a bitch.  Lots of observed avalanches that went during the storm and after the storm  occured.

Delancy ridge had a d3 slide in just about every gulley yesterday and a new one today was observed in a low down gulley.

I'm sorry,but i'm not getting the fathers out with their 6th graders anywhere near delancy ridge today, is that a thing now?

more new loading over night  and strong  wind today. Some solar on the south faces.

Edit paragraphs
« Last Edit: 03/09/17, 09:23 PM by mosetick » Logged

"I'm not making love to anyones wishes, only for that light I see." Cat Stevens
samthaman

Re: NCH Heli-guide Ok
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/17, 06:47 PM »

I'd hate to be your neighbor.
freeski

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/17, 10:19 AM »

I'd hate to be your neighbor.

in the westen country side we have a saying. Fences make good neighboors.

i was out on saturday and observed one crown avalanche on a north east aspect below a rock wall on the deposition appron, located upper Silver Star Mountain.

We observed fresh heli ski tracks from the upper rock buttress that separates runs on the main ss north face from runs going to Vardin Creek.

The heli did not drop skiers from the top landing  at the col, which would mostly have had wind slab and that fresh slab near the col was a good indicator. While the crown was visible, we were to far to see the debris pile.

From field observations on sat and sunday, most of the recent slide activity on our north aspect terrain occured during the storm.

i observed avy debris, spread throughout it's 30-35 degree travel path with new snow cover in an area we call 'the sacred larch grove' in the power cache. The avy started in the cornice that flank this ne ridge feature. There was wind slab off the top that was unreative to my ski cut on a 40 degree roll.   

On sunday, we poked our heads into the lower area we call 2nd bowl. Observed there was a large cornice drop that cleaned the large n wall and triggered a 3 to 4 foot crown, again on the deposition zone at the foot of the wall that ran over and involved a rock butress and into the run out to R3. The run out zone had about a foot of new from the friday-sat storm over a very hard surface from the debris

below the newer 1' of snow, was a wind crust over less new powder.  sunday was windy through out the bowl and strong on the ridge tops where we did not travel.
« Last Edit: 03/07/17, 10:32 AM by freeski » Logged

aaron_wright

« Reply #3 on: 03/07/17, 10:53 AM »

in the westen country side we have a saying. Fences make good neighboors.
"Good fences make good neighbors". That's from the last line of the "Mending Wall", a poem written by Robert Frost from a collection titled "North of Boston" written in 1914 in Massachusetts.
freeski

« Reply #4 on: 03/07/17, 02:33 PM »

"Good fences make good neighbors". That's from the last line of the "Mending Wall", a poem written by Robert Frost from a collection titled "North of Boston" written in 1914 in Massachusetts.
Thanks for the reference.

I re-read that poem and it sure is appropriate metaphor for our current public land use conflicts.

On our (public land watchdogs) side of the fence commercial users are always wanting to expand into areas where human powered ski tourers re-create, seek solice and form lasting bonds with our band of brothers and sisters.

Commercial users, and this is not limited to NCH and NCMG,  seem to be willing to violate federal permits, trash the enviornment in which they operate, and possibly violate federal law, and this is unexceptable.

The most important ramifications of a failed land use policy, and my major concern, is public safety. 

This is where i believe that the Forest Service failed in building a good fence between human powered ski touring and the powder and power hungry motorized heli-ski industry. In other words, the Forest Service has failed to follow the law, imo.

We see from the above incident that, contrary to what the industy desires to portray, guides and clients are involved in many near-miss avalanche incidents and even fatal mountain accidents are not always publically revealed if an accident occurs outside the fences of the United States.

Currently, some bc skiers are communicating with NWAC concerning the need for complete honest and accurate reporting of guide/outfitter near-miss accidents.

Not doing so, in addition to the reasons already stated, increases conflict and gives the appearance of impropriety between federal spebial use permit holders and both the public land use managing branch of the Forest Service and an agent of the forest service ie NWAC.

The first step in mending this fence (conflict) is open and honest communication. These and other ethical considerations are the foundation for a time when fences may not be required.

However, as long as the self interest aquisition of money and power takes precedence over public safey and the needs of a healthy wilderness habitat, fences will remain intact. 

« Last Edit: 03/07/17, 03:14 PM by freeski » Logged

freeski

« Reply #5 on: 03/10/17, 09:23 AM »

A friend of mind informs me that nch discussed this serious near-miss avy incident on a okangan county radio program on wednesday.

congrats to nch. We know that  you and ncmg have the potential to be  industy leaders in the disclosing of these types of incidents in the interest in publc safety.

It's long past the time where these types of incidents should be  perceived by guide outfitters as 'bad for business'.

thanks for joining me, and others, in a  new era where transparency and truthful information about mountain risk is 'good for business'.

I've said this before,there is no shame in getting caught in an avalanche especially when it happens while trying to keep others safe.
« Last Edit: 03/10/17, 02:23 PM by freeski » Logged

Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.