March 3, 2017 Monarch Pass

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Mar 2017 20:13 #229069 by Zap
March 3, 2017 Monarch Pass was created by Zap
We spent the night in Salida at 7000' which gave us a chance to defrost our bodies and our campervan. We drove back up to Monarch for a groomer day. The families were beginning to arrive as we left. There were no lift lines and you can do as many groomers as you wanted. The elevation at the bottom lift is 10,790' and at the top lift is 11,950'. All 6 lifts were operating, and the 4 lifts we used had old-style double chairs. We have skied here for many years and on powder days, but today it was in the 20's with no wind. Stop by on your way to/from Crested Butte along US-50. There were very few tourists. We are in the 70's club and received free tickets. It is always nice when the ticket person can not believe Jill is in her 70's. They do believe that I'm 70, but I am kind of “cute and adorable” with a good sense of humor. After we left Monarch, when I tried tried to “dump” our black water (toilet) tank, it was frozen! I only mention this because in 17 years this has never happened before. Guess the 4 days of camping at elevation in minus degree temps (at Telluride and Crested Butte) did it in. So Jill checked the map and found a lower elevation place to go to to defrost the tank. Pueblo at 5000' with temps in the high 60s-70s was the answer along I-25 and south of Colorado Springs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.