Home > Trip Reports > March 4, 2017, ONP 2 slabs skier triggered updated pics

March 4, 2017, ONP 2 slabs skier triggered updated pics

3/4/17
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 3/4/17 10:20am
Decided to play it safe today and do a mellow tour out to Hurricane Hill with an old friend as NWAC was calling for considerable avalanche danger.  Glad we did!

On our return ski we noticed multiple fracture lines and the remnants of a skier triggered wind slab within the south facing bowl. The slide on the east facing side of the bowl had a three foot crown and was triggered by a skier as he dropped in. It was probably at least 200 feet across and 400 feet long and ran the entire length of the southern face.  He was able to outride it straight down to safety uninjured.  The other was along the west facing side of the bowl below the rock band. The rider claimed the slide he propagated triggered the other slide which is hard to see in the pic but visible along the rocks to the right of the photo. Look closely. It is very unusual to see slides of this magnitude in this bowl. I have been skiing this area for over 30 years and have never seen anything like it! For me it is a reminder and an affirmation. I need to pay better attention to the NWAC warnings, dig pits and ski accordingly no matter how many times I have safely skied familiar terrain! Weather was not conducive to good pics but you get the idea. I hope Brandon is able to provide more info and pics of greater clarity and a big thanks to Chris and Al who provided the pics for this TR:

"This is Chris the snowshoer from hurricane hill. I was up there today and watched a skier go off one of the cornices on the west side of the bowl and trigger two large avalanches. He was able to just barley out ski the slide and was ok. Pretty interesting and eye opening to watch. I attached a pics."

There were other slides also reported in the Maggies area.
Thanks for that.  Avalanche retrospectives are extremely valuable and good reminders to be careful, as you point out.

Reply to this TR

march-4-2017-onp-2-slabs-skier-triggered-updated-pics
runcle
2017-03-04 18:20:27