March 1-2, 2017 Crested Butte

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Mar 2017 11:45 #229065 by Zap
March 1-2, 2017 Crested Butte was created by Zap
March 1: Jill and I were the only skiers in the family today. The boys were still asleep in the morning and worn out from their powder day. It was very quiet at 9am when the lifts started. It was a sunny day in the low 20's and we were doing screamer runs on the groomers. A few of the locals were heading to the High lift and the North Face lift. The cold temperatures kept the snow in perfect shape. We finished at noon and met the boys for a trip to Gunnison. Miles was doing a campus tour and meeting with some of the Western State Colorado University professors. He had a great tour and later met a recent graduate while looking around in one of the shops in Crested Butte. If you visit CB stop by The Last Steep Bar & Grill for a bite to eat. We learned about it from a local mom several years ago; it's definitely a locals' place with great food and drinks and reasonable prices.

March 2: The boys were recharged and ready to go. They made 3 runs with us and then were off to the steep and deep. It was another sunny day in the mid 20's and the snow was fast. Groomers, groomers and more groomers. We planned to meet for lunch at 11:45am and the guys finally arrived 45minutes later. Boy, they were exhausted. They showed us videos of their runs off the North Face lift and in Third Bowl which opened this morning. They learned about climbing up, skiing down, climbing to another ridge, skiing down to the base, and then climbing out 15 minute to back. They were very, very tired. After a lunch break we all skied a few more runs and headed home, i.e. back to the Lodge. Miles, the 17 year who visited WSCU yesterday, needed a few extra runs. He couldn't get enough of the snow which was such a nice change from what he usually skis back east. He returned to the room after 90 minutes, totally done in. He met a senior from WSCU on the slopes and they went into the Banana, Funnel, Forest and Hot Rocks (where he'd gone with his dad and brother yesterday). Then he ask Miles if he'd like to do some cliffs – sure, why not! Wow, I saw the video of his jump off the cliff and he had great style and perfect flight. The highlight of his day.

As Jill and I were leaving the slopes, I asked about Tony M who's working at CB as an Ambassador. He was there and had just gotten back from New Zealand. It was great to hear about his trip to the South Island and about his upcoming bike trip. Crested Butte closes April 2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.