Mar 3, 2017 - Stevens Pass

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Mar 2017 18:15 - 03 Mar 2017 18:19 #229056 by pipedream
Mar 3, 2017 - Stevens Pass was created by pipedream
Left town early (but apparently not quite early enough - why people are leaving home at 6:30am to drive around the lake is beyond me) and pulled into the last spot in the uppermost westside lot at 0830. Snow was pounding down hard at 33F, so a test of the Gore-Tex was going to be in order today. Hopped into the back of a small lineup for Skyline which started moving just before 9 and made my way to 7th Heaven where years of training as an Alpentalic paid-off. "Single?!" I inquired from the back of the line. Nothing. "So, no singles then? Bummer." Just then a lone gloved hand shot skyward and I made my way to the middle of the pack near the front, passing a crew of familiar faces who made it clear that this kind of thing only flies on your birthday. The lap from 7th to Tye Mill didn't disappoint, despite a marked lack of wax on the underside of my snowstick.

Tye loaded right away but I opted to stay frontside, charging a lap down the gully skier's left of the liftline then making a modest huck off Tye Rock and more or less pointing it back to the lift. Back atop Tye, I dove backside - hitting the skier's left of Corona Bowl and then finishing it up with a  lap through Borealis where I encountered snow that felt like deep, southern grits. I lucked-out again loading Southern Cross, joining a double right at the front of the line who turned-out to be former co-workers. We took a lap down the skier's left side of Southern Cross and the turns up top were tasty but the schmoo thickened quickly on Aquarius Face. I broke away to slay a brown dragon in the former snack stand's facilities, then took a lap down the frontside through the trees skier's right of Wild Katz. Those delivered nice, albeit heavy turns all the way to the bottom, so I decided to head back up and check-out Schim's Meadow which was totally slayed. I then cruised over to Hogsback to see if any leftovers remained (nope x2).

It was now just after 11 and puking wet snow at pass level but only snowing moderately with good visibility up high, so I capitalized on a couple Bobby/Nancy/Solitude laps before heading down to the car via Windy Chutes & Brennan's Trail (plenty of leftover pow over there). After a much needed lunch break, I wrung my gloves out, wiped out my goggles and headed back out for some more. I took Hogs -> Tye and traversed out into the far reaches of the South Park trees. A few pockets had been left behind but not enough to make more than a few laps through it worthwhile. I took Southern Cross out and made my way down the pro chutes behind Dudley's, across Chief Bowl and out into Chief Trees. I noted a touchy  snowpack, feeling it collapse beneath me on even moderately steep slopes (maybe 30 degrees) - not surprising considering it's a few feet of upside down snow on top of a slick ice crust with substantial daytime warming reaching its peak. So do be careful if you choose to venture into the Stevens backcountry this weekend.

After my Chief Trees lap it was snowing so hard you could barely see your feet so I decided to call it a day, grabbing one last Skyline lap to the car. The new snow falling had the consistency (and grip) of glue, so it was no trouble calling it quits at quarter 'til 3. Drive home took an astonishing 2.5 hours, making for 4.5 hours of driving today to ride for maybe 5 hours total. Now you see why I prefer Alpy...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dkoelle
  • [dkoelle]
More
04 Mar 2017 20:38 #229072 by dkoelle
Replied by dkoelle on topic Re: Mar 3, 2017 - Stevens Pass
Mar 4
Arrived what we thought was early to the biggest crowd I've ever personally seen, although I am sure there have been more crowded days. Stood in line 45 min. Pleasantly surprised to see the sun. First thing Skyline ~ 15th chair to 7th heaven, only to experience a mix of glorious powder and chickenheadish avy debris on Rock Garden. Next trees next to Corona Bowl, nice, and up and down Wild Katz. Too steep for me to really enjoy on top. Lower part still pretty untracked and more my cup of tea. Then back to the backside where the ruination wrought by the sun and skiers gradually turned the slopes into whipped, creamy, chunky mashed potatoes thrown into ridges and piles. Notable hamstring pull after being tossed about a bit by the thick snow, still hurts. Explored Double Diamond; good skier's left of the tree island, and various Big Chief trees. The snow was a lot better on the front as is not unusual. The crowds briefly appeared on the backside and a tiny bit on Kehr's but actually seemed to melt away overall. Perfect weather and visibility but Spring is definitely coming

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.