Home > Forum > Jackson Hole - 3/3

Jackson Hole - 3/3

• CD
  • [CD]
More
03 Mar 2017 15:15 #229050 by CD
Jackson Hole - 3/3 was created by CD
Yesterday, we drove across a moonscape on our way from Sun Valley to Jackson Hole. Literally. We drove through the Craters of the Moon National Monument on US-20. Following that, some bizarre mountain formations. And, the Idaho National Laboratory which is just a fancy name for a vast nuclear waste site.

Upon arriving in Jackson Hole, the first thing we noticed was it was a good 15 degrees warmer than Sun Valley. The next thing we noticed is prices in Teton Village are expensive. We couldn't find a restaurant we wanted to eat at because it was just too damn much. Sun Valley was very affordable compared to this.

Skiing today was great, but the mountain was crowded. I waited in more lift lines than I have all season. 30 minutes to get on the tram mid morning after the lines died down. Corbett's is insane with a minimum 50 foot drop in. Watched lots of guys blow up. Then, a teleman locked down his heals and launched it like a boss. Cool.

They haven't had snow here for a couple days and due to the warm afternoon temperatures (mid 30s and sun today), most of the mountain is firm packed powder. We found the runs we liked the best (black diamond mogul runs) were all off Sublette and Thunder, the two fixed gip quad chairs below the top of the tram. While we skied every chair today, we spent most of our time there.

Riding the tram is an experience. It holds 100 people and that's at least 10 too many. Don't ride it if you're claustrophobic. And, whatever position you're in once inside, you're locked in that position. I was dumb enough to have an arm raised above my head. And, that's how I stood for 9 minutes.

Curious to see how the crowds are tomorrow. But, overall, a very nice day today. Never did find the Hole.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Mar 2017 17:58 #229054 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Jackson Hole - 3/3
Say hello to flowing alpy, Silas and the rest of the 17BBIJH crew while you're out there!

More
04 Mar 2017 20:24 #229070 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Jackson Hole - 3/3
Dude you didn't do Corbet's?? Ok neither did I but my excuse is being hurt. Here is the GoPro vid of what it looks like to launch that 50 feet:

vimeo.com/202061206

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Mar 2017 14:59 #229157 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Jackson Hole - 3/3

Say hello to flowing alpy, Silas and the rest of the 17BBIJH crew while you're out there!

We had a great weekend there and I killed it on the tram with shotgun position twice and front row window with leg & elbow room</\>once! Only waited bigly for first day's load up but that was expected. Thunder quad did load well and bucket laps to hot box were perfectly situated on the mountain! Disney like crowds down low but tourons stayed off the steeps and bumps. I almost forgot about that place, since coming home to beautiful Cascade snow:/)