Crystal - 03/01

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2017 16:54 #229013 by ddk
Crystal - 03/01 was created by ddk
Short report – Got #1 and my self in the middle of the first chair on Chex…big! Pleasant conditions most of the day…a little in and out on the fuzzy fog in places at time…but mostly good and got better in the afternoon. No lift lines all day, great early groomers, a little dusting of new to smooth out some of the left over high use areas and plenty of big piles of left overs in lots of places…and probably still bigger happy untracked in others.

Wordier report – Nice day, only the bus crowd (9+) which is even older than I am. Conditions on the day after were great, but it is amazing how a light Tuesday crowd can be so efficient on cutting up pretty much everything in the core area – even some spots that normally bet missed...oh well there were still plenty have happy spots for the Coombas…and they were very happy. Did notice significant heavier sun impact on the south facing slopes early afternoon – might be challenging tomorrow, but the shady north facing that I did were holding up. Crowd was light enough to make #1 happy and kept the places she skied better than normal all day.

Other – Soup at CB lodge was Triple C AGAIN! Lordy lordy they must have a freezer full of those bags at this point of the season…Oh well, shared a very “big” rice bowl with #1 (must have weighed a couple of pounds) and it was about the right amount of way to much food. Pay lot not to massive… but still not full? C and B no where near full to any where. Great day, very easy early drive up and very easy late drive down. All in all a great left over day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2017 17:56 #229018 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01
You do realize your wordier report is only 5 lines compared to 4 for the short version?! Seems to me your short one needs to be less wordier or the long one more wordier...

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2017 18:17 - 01 Mar 2017 18:20 #229021 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01

You do realize your wordier report is only 5 lines compared to 4 for the short version?! Seems to me your short one needs to be less wordier or the long one more wordier...

Actually I did notice that...couldn't think of much more in my limited experience today to say...waiting for all the really big wordy reports to show up? Agree....gotta be less wordy in the short version to try to fit in the Alpy parameters...or 140 char tweets! btw...it was 6 lines for the wordyish version....

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
01 Mar 2017 18:23 #229022 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01
Heard the tuesday crowd was small. But they did a great job of cutting things up. Warmer temps this morning made the snow thicker than the past few weeks, although, with some momentum it skied great. When the closed-yesterday Northway opened, our timing was perfect for 4 great untracked runs before the masses assembled. Employee Housing’s cut pow my favorite. Or was it Avie Basin - except for being the first and having to cut the traverse to DFF. DFF excellent BTW.

Warm temps and sun will make for some crisp snow tomorrow.

Ken
+

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
01 Mar 2017 18:31 #229023 by AlpineRose
Replied by AlpineRose on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01
A note from the peanut gallery here. I always enjoy ddk reports (and those of most other Crystal aficionados). I like the humor, and I can understand them. Those Alpy reports? Whoooo. When I open one, I always wonder "what am I not going to understand about this report today". Guess it's because I'm not one of the cool kids.

So thanks, ddk.

More
01 Mar 2017 19:11 #229025 by alt.ddk
Replied by alt.ddk on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01
Padded seat reports are not false news and do not contain alternative facts like some of the ddk crystal reports. The padded seats are real, gritty and for THE PEOPLE not the spoiled, soup crazed, parking fixated aficionados of crystal. Alpental is the hill that rules then all.

• eskinmo
  • [eskinmo]
More
01 Mar 2017 19:36 #229028 by eskinmo
Replied by eskinmo on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01
The real news today is that DDK skied stevens pass yesterday.It should be obvious to even the most casual reader of this "fake news outlet" that he has made a huge blunder.....It should have occurred to him on his long drive in the wrong direction,the enormous error that he was making.One has to wonder about the mind set, or indeed if he actually has one , did he really think on such a day that stevens pass was going to have better soup. The fact that they "stevens pass" don't know how special your soup needs are should be looked into and covered by the ADA.But for god's sakes man take a little personal responsibility here . As Alt DDK has pointed out if your going to leave Crystal one time ....on the greatest day of the year at least go to Alpental .....the soup at Alpental rules all

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
01 Mar 2017 20:26 #229030 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01
CONS: the day after, warming temps, good ol' cascade snow

PROS: Shaker's left via gate 10 was a sketchy shimmy to get into the chute proper, but once in the boot top+ and untracked lines were great! repeat; I had to put on the brakes about 1/2 down North's White Dragon when the slope began to slide and I then found myself glissading happily for about 75-100 feet before I realized that fun time was over and I stood up and skied the wave to safety -- no worries, dependable buds had me in their sights -- and we all had transceivers, etc -- whoa!; as mentioned, ABasin into DFF was outstanding (but we thought we had the first tracks Ken); Fardoggle into the summer hiking trail was a new twist that caused us to almost miss the crossing back across Elizabeth Creek-- but the snow there was very nice and well preserved; no lines, no crowds, filtered sun was a bonus

Wed wasn't Tuesday, but it certainly is likely to be better than Thur

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2017 21:32 #229032 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Crystal - 03/01
Glad to hear you are OK.
I too always carry avy gear on big days when skiing the outer fringes...ski patrol can only control the danger so much.
Shakers left always fun ? to get into but usually worth it.
Glad I got Monday,distraught I missed Tuesday and sad I missed today by all accounts.
Weather fx looking good for the weekend warriors to get some fun,