Home > Forum > Sun Valley - 2/27

Sun Valley - 2/27

• CD
  • [CD]
More
27 Feb 2017 16:03 #228974 by CD
Sun Valley - 2/27 was created by CD
Today was the first ski day of our road trip that will take us to Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, and Big Sky.  In my 61 years, I've never been to Sun Valley.  It's a resort that seems to divide people into those that love the resort and those that don't.  I wasn't sure which side I'd fall on.

Driving here, I was surprised by how remote the place is.  Hours of frozen wasteland getting here.  Once here, I was also surprised about how much the local residents were bitching about all the snow.  Huh?  Turns out they had more snow in February than their recorded history.  It's become a problem in Ketchum because they just have too much of it and are running out of places to put it.

This morning started out cold (zero degrees) and overcast with an inch of new.  Visibility was very flat on top of the mountain and there was no view.  We skied nice groomers until we were scheduled to meet up with some friends that own a home here.  Wait, these runs are long.  The high speed lifts are fast and several cover 2500 - 3000 vertical. When we met up with or friends, they started showing us the goods as the sun started to poke out.  We really weren't sure what kind of skiers they were, but that concern was quickly alleviated.  Some of our favorite first day runs were off the top of Bald Mountain into the bowls towards Seattle Ridge.  1600 vert of continuous packed powder fall line bumps.  Over and over again.  Reminded me of Employee Housing back home, but a lift right at the bottom (no I-5 trail).  Also, 3000 vert of Limelight down to the Warm Springs base held many repeats.  You can really pile on the vert here.

So, after the first day, I'm leaning towards the crowd that loves Sun Valley.  The lodges are beautiful, the snow great, and when the weather cleared, a great view.  Oh, and the place was empty.

One other thing to note.  The gondola out of the River Run base is the exact gondola as Crystal Mountain.  But, there are 4 times as many buckets.  There are four buckets continuously loading around the carousel at the base and the uphill capacity is faster than the high speed quad right next to it.  How did Crystal bugger things up so bad with their gondie?

The soup was french onion and tomato bisque.  Both looked great.  Huge caesar salad for my wife and hefty cheese burger for me.  The quarter pizzas for $7 looked great, so will sample that tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Feb 2017 17:06 #228977 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Sun Valley - 2/27
Nice.... planning on a trip there real soon with Mrs Scotsman.
Only skied there in spring conditions and I liked it especially the big hot tub at the lodge.
Love to ski it in winter powder.
Looking forward to hearing more.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Feb 2017 18:57 #225003 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: Sun Valley - 2/27
There's no reason to not like the big mountain. Fall line bumps and steep groomers, and great gladed terrain for the rare times you get a big dump. It's a rich, old crowd that skis fast! Great weather, dry snow...

Limited nightlife, but lots of good restaurants. Enjoy! I'm going again for 5 days in mid march.