Home > Forum > Journalist inquiry re: new Snoqualmie guidebook

Journalist inquiry re: new Snoqualmie guidebook

• gscruggs
  • [gscruggs]
More
25 Feb 2017 07:50 #228935 by gscruggs
Hey --

I'm a journalist writing a piece for Backcountry Magazine about Matt Schoenfeld's new guide to Snoqualmie Pass, just published by Off Piste Ski Atlas: offpisteskiatlas.com/product/snoqualmie-pass/

If you would like to weigh in for my article, please get in touch -- PM me or email: gregory DOT scruggs AT gmail. My deadline is Wednesday March 1. I will only consider using a quote from you if you give your full name.

Some questions to consider:

-Are you concerned that a new guidebook will increase skier traffic in Snoqualmie Pass and if so what are your main concerns? (Less untracked pow, limited parking, overuse of wilderness, backcountry safety esp higher avy risk)
-How important were previous guidebooks in your own discovery of the Snoqualmie Pass backcountry?
-If you have seen Schoenfeld's book, do you think he has taken a balanced approach and held back from sharing certain secret stashes?

Thanks in advance. Last year TAYers were an invaluable resource for some reporting I did on Mt Rainier winter access: backcountrymagazine.com/stories/the-price-ofparadise/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
25 Feb 2017 14:02 #228936 by snoqpass

Hey --

I'm a journalist writing a piece for Backcountry Magazine about Matt Schoenfeld's new guide to Snoqualmie Pass, just published by Off Piste Ski Atlas: offpisteskiatlas.com/product/snoqualmie-pass/

If you would like to weigh in for my article, please get in touch -- PM me or email: gregory DOT scruggs AT gmail. My deadline is Wednesday March 1. I will only consider using a quote from you if you give your full name.

Some questions to consider:

-Are you concerned that a new guidebook will increase skier traffic in Snoqualmie Pass and if so what are your main concerns? (Less untracked pow, limited parking, overuse of wilderness, backcountry safety esp higher avy risk)
-How important were previous guidebooks in your own discovery of the Snoqualmie Pass backcountry?
-If you have seen Schoenfeld's book, do you think he has taken a balanced approach and held back from sharing certain secret stashes?

Thanks in advance. Last year TAYers were an invaluable resource for some reporting I did on Mt Rainier winter access: backcountrymagazine.com/stories/the-price-ofparadise/

Matt Schonwald

• gscruggs
  • [gscruggs]
More
26 Feb 2017 19:06 #228952 by gscruggs

Matt Schonwald

Indeed. Tapped out quickly on a smartphone yesterday morning before losing service on the way to Paradise. Will make sure it's correct in the article of course! Apologies to Matt if he's reading.

More
26 Feb 2017 19:13 - 26 Feb 2017 19:18 #228955 by filbo
Journalists know the name and spelling of their subject.   Get it together!
Backcountry, I stopped my subscription due to boredom of reading the usual drivel.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Feb 2017 10:32 #228968 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Journalist inquiry re: new Snoqualmie guidebook
No kidding. How about taking the time to write a proper post, not one done quickly.

Tell the tourons that the Source Lake Dog Park Trail is the shit and to learn how to park.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
27 Feb 2017 13:09 - 27 Feb 2017 13:14 #228969 by gravitymk
meh...

Covered extensively by Martin in this book over 15 years ago.

www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Skiing-Snoqua...Guides/dp/0762710667

The Pass is (and has been) an obvious and easy target for Puget Sound BC skiers regardless of this or other guide books on the market, there aren't any secrets.

• gscruggs
  • [gscruggs]
More
27 Feb 2017 13:51 #228970 by gscruggs

No kidding. How about taking the time to write a proper post, not one done quickly.

Tell the tourons that the Source Lake Dog Park Trail is the shit and to learn how to park.

I'm sure Matt dedicated a whole page to that in his guidebook. Probably even before the boilerplate on avalanche safety.

• gscruggs
  • [gscruggs]
More
27 Feb 2017 13:53 #228971 by gscruggs

i did take the time to read the op's link to his last article. My first impression was like the article was done just to rag on the park service law enforcement.

The proper procedure when a person thinks that they were treated unfairly and issued a ticket is to go to court and tell it to the judge.

That article did generate some thoughtful comments and i tend to agree with those on the side of law enforcement on this issue.

It is interesting however, that  ski tour choices have to be made on the basis of that gate closing.   

Please post a link to your new article op, it will be interesting to see how you tell the tale.

If i may ask, when did the book start bc sking in the areas that he discuss in his book and how did he first learn about those ski lines. For example- did he follow skin tracks or where the routes passed down , given freely by others?

Happy to post when it's published. re: MRNP, multiple requests to speak with park law enforcement were not granted, so all I had was he said (the guy who got the ticket) and she said (the deputy superintendent who said she wouldn't comment on a particular incident). I agree it makes MRNP LE come off like the bad guy, though the offender admits he was a jerk, but they chose not to address the incident publicly, so what can you do.

I will note that I reached out to the ticket receiver, so he may also have gone to a judge after the fact but I wasn't his first line of defense or anything.

And I agree about the comments -- was pleasantly surprised with the dialogue it generated.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
27 Feb 2017 14:08 #228972 by gravitymk

anybody know the early ski touring history in that area, before the guide books where written.

People don't always see what a few folks see as obvious. They are however, good at spotting ski tracks.

From casual observation, traffic increase has trended along side gear improvement/availability, no real surprise there. I doubt that a new guide book is going to be a game changer in this zone. If I want to go some place where I am not worried about seeing other tracks, I either get an earlier start or I go further out. Same as it ever was.