Home > Trip Reports > Feb 21, 2017, Tiny Tour

Feb 21, 2017, Tiny Tour

2/21/17
Posted by jtack on 2/24/17 3:02am
I am worried that the photos are not visible? I had problems putting them in, I can see them, so I don't know how to fix the problem.   Any suggestions?

We have had such good coverage I have been on a mission to put tracks on places not that often skied.  There is a nice open slope above Mike Rolfs house that I have been itching to track, so on the spur of the moment I called Mike and lured him away from work for a "long lunch". It was a simple little tour that ended up having several un expected events. We had about seven inches of new warming snow on a bullet proof rain crust, we were a little worried about the bonding but it seemed good.  Air temperature was above freezing and it was raining under snow laden trees, but we managed to mount the ridge without too much trouble.  On the way up I noticed several places where elk had been grazing on bitter brush, and pawing down to the ground looking for feed.  We were not being quite at all, talking about who knows what when not thirty feet away we looked up and here is what we saw, this huge bull elk bounding in slow motion down the hill, I was sorry to disturber him this time of year but it was awesome to see him.

Mike was fast enough on the draw to catch these great shots:

With the help of the phone map we were able to pop out right above Mikes house. Perfect!

The turns down the first pitch were great, the warming snow was mostly heavy enough to keep us off the Valentines day crust underneath.

The next pitch however came with a bit of a surprise, probably over confident with the stability  of the snow, we discussed our next move and decided on a little steeper pitch, I was about six turns in when I snuck a peek over my shoulder to see a wet slough was building, one turn more and Mike was warning me of the gathering force behind me. I traversed to the edge of the run as pile of wet glop large enough and fast enough to bang me into the trees below went sliding by. We chose our terrain more conservatively the rest of the way down. We ended our little tour at Mikes driveway, of course he had to walk across the pavement so he could say he skied to the house.

The view from his front yard,

Perfect!
Sounds like an exciting time! I can't see any of the photos though...

author=sgertz link=topic=37950.msg153890#msg153890 date=1487969991]
Sounds like an exciting time! I can't see any of the photos though...

I'll try and sort out the problem, but I can see them?  Mike said that he could see all but the first one? sorry

Not sure what the problem is, I could see the photos on my tablet, but now I can't see them on the desktop I put them on with? 

I could see the photos on my home computer (except the first one), but now at work no photos!

I can't see your pics either.

Took a look at the html and noticed your pics don't have a height designation... not sure if that's it, but you could try to modify your image links by taking out the width designation, like this:

img width=800  PASTEimageURLhere  /img

img  PASTEimageURLhere  /img

(I took out the brackets so the site wouldn't translate the above to html, but you'll want to leave the brackets in when you do this)

Sounds like a fun little tour! Your photos look like they might be set to private on the google side of things. Try making them public and they should show up for everyone.

Near as I can tell, I had not allowed them to be shared, I put them in a album that was sharable and they seem to be visible to everyone, thanks for all the great advice all, first time I have had this problem. 

Fun report from a low-snow interval.
Mike is grinning like he has an elk steak waiting for him at the bottom 8)
Is that a helmet clipped to his pack?

Of course not, a baseball cap.........the bill is his eye protection!

Reply to this TR

feb-21-2017-tiny-tour
jtack
2017-02-24 11:02:54