Home > Trip Reports > Feb 18, 2017, Sourdough Mtn, N. Cascades

Feb 18, 2017, Sourdough Mtn, N. Cascades

2/18/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by MGoodwin on 2/20/17 3:36am
Given the awesome avy forecast of LOW, I knew this would be some of the finest skiing ever. Turned four times I think. Putting this up as a recon and beta for those looking for a good tree run (which is what I was looking for). Went in with a group of four snow shoers who were staying the night. I stopped at 4800' where you start to break out and get some nice views. Started skinning at 1700'. From bottom to top nicely spaced trees on a moderate slope. This place would be awesome in a higher avy condition day when good powder has come down. One side note for going up and down: at about 4200 and up, the forest about the summer trail gets notably denser. On the way down I went skier's right for this area and found the forest was much more open. Will try to get some pictures attached this evening.
Here are a couple pictures from the 3-4000' range. Transition point at about 1800' had a lot of small "lodge pole" pines. Tight but negotiable.

Thanks for the report!  Good idea to build a tree skiing inventory.

To what elevation could you reasonably ski, to your car at approx ______ feet?  Or was it the transition point you mentioned?

Car is about 8-900'. I transitioned right about 1700-1800', though that was also effectively in the open. Big disparity between open and forested areas. Think you could count on good snow 2-2300'.

Thanks, MGoodwin. A reliable and interpretable low-elevation snow report is pure gold.

Good luck and good decisions, hedonaut, whereever you're headed. We're not in the hunt on this unique weekend, but the hunting might be good.

Reply to this TR

feb-18-2017-sourdough-mtn-n-cascades
MGoodwin
2017-02-20 11:36:17