Home > Forum > Seeking quiver advice--volcano/ long tour ski

Seeking quiver advice--volcano/ long tour ski

• snowsickle
  • [snowsickle]
More
19 Feb 2017 23:53 - 21 Feb 2017 11:04 #228866 by snowsickle
If one already has a powder touring setup, what ski should one buy for everything else in the cascades: volcanoes, long tours with variable snow, or just non-powder days?

In my particular case: I have DPS Wailer 112 hybrids as well as K2 Shuksans (78mm waist), both mounted with Radicals.  I am thinking I should fill in the gap with a sub-7-pound, 94 -102 mm waisted, slightly rockered ski like the G3 Findr, Fischer Hannibal, Salomon MTN 95... (replacing 2008 102-waisted BD Verdicts).  Thoughts?   Opinions on 94 vs 100/102?  If I buy something like this, is there any argument for keeping the skinnier but heavier Shuksans?

EDIT 2/21:
I guess I should have mentioned that my technique is far from flawless. I see a lot of love for the Blizzard Zero G 95, but reviews invariably mention that it is a demanding ski, requiring attention, skill, a lot of input, etc....all of which gives me pause! I suppose I need a more forgiving ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2017 05:34 #228871 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Seeking quiver advice--volcano/ long tour ski
Praxis Rx

More
20 Feb 2017 09:28 #228872 by biker
I like my blizzard zero G 95s in this slot. I would not bother keeping the shuksans.

• thatcherk1
  • [thatcherk1]
More
20 Feb 2017 20:25 #228891 by thatcherk1
Replied by thatcherk1 on topic Re: Seeking quiver advice--volcano/ long tour ski
I'm diggin my Hannibal 94s with superlight bindings. Good in variable terrain. They are still fun in powder. Edged nicely last week on a super icy mt hood. Mine are a bit squirrelly, but I got a short pair. I'm 6'2" 190lb and I have the 178 length. They're snappy though when tight turns are needed. And best of all is they're easy to throw on the back. Hardly feel them. 7.5lb for the pair with bindings.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2017 20:50 - 20 Feb 2017 21:22 #228892 by Scotsman
Im still drooling after reading this blister review today!
.blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/majesty-skis-werewolf-clt
or
www.black-crows.com/navis-freebird-skis.
Just started riding a pair of Blackcrow Anima Freebirds and they are very playful. The Navis is a touring ski used a lot in the Alps which is not suprising considering Blsck Crow is a Cham based company.
or
www.dpsskis.com/en/cassiar-987.html.
I have the Cassiar's and they are a great ski and 95 mm is a good width imo.
or
www.evo.com/skis/dynastar-mythic-97.aspx...461/453195/clone.jpg
The Mythic is also getting very good reviews and a few of my pals have jsut bought them and love them,

Those Majesty Werewolf's look rad....plus they are called Werewolf's!!!!!! Drool!.

More
21 Feb 2017 08:31 #228893 by DG

I'm diggin my Hannibal 94s with superlight bindings. Good in variable terrain. They are still fun  in powder.

I'll second the opinion on the Hannibal 94s.  I upgraded my setup this year and bought them along with Marker Kingpins.  They are super light but ski great. I thought the 177 size might be a little short for me (6'1" 175), but they have a long effective edge and I do most of my touring in the spring, so figured I'd hedge a bit shorter.  Was pleasantly surprised that they float well in powder.  They're also a bit cheaper than some of the other skis in their class - will see how they hold up over time.

• brownc9
  • [brownc9]
More
21 Feb 2017 10:17 #228894 by brownc9
I have a pair of 184cm MTN 95's with skins for sale... Would make a great ski for volcano season and long winter tours.

More
01 Mar 2017 15:49 #229009 by Calvin
I work at a ski shop and each employee came up with their "dream quiver". The Blizzard 0G 95 was in everyone's top 3 for the "volcano/traverse" slot in the quiver. I would highly recommend them.

More
01 Mar 2017 16:09 #229010 by haggis
As I'm a boarder and only wanted one pair of skis I bought the dynafit Dhaulagiri with Fritschi Vitec 12 bindings.  99 underfoot which should suffice for most conditions and are nice and light but still pretty stable.  I'm a crap skier but they got good reviews. Should be really good on the volcanoes too.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
01 Mar 2017 16:14 #229011 by kamtron
Something around 88 underfoot with mostly camber and slight tip rocker has worked well for me

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
01 Mar 2017 16:59 #229014 by Good2Go
I've got the Mythics, which for me replaced two arrows in my former quiver (Dynafit Cho Oyu and DPS Wailer 99 hybrids). The Chos were super light and skied great in corn, but they were not damp at all on ice or chunks, skied pow terribly and were not confidence inspiring in terms of durability. The Wailer 99s were just too heavy for their intended purpose and skied really short (too much rocker on both ends IMO). Mythics aren't that light compared to some other options, but they really hold an edge on ice, are relatively damp and they ski pow really well for their size. Not a particularly demanding ski either. Softish tip, easy initiation, solid edge hold, great glide out of the box, etc. Pretty happy with the choice. They're also on sale for 35% off right now at Backcountry.

• jakedouglas
  • [jakedouglas]
More
01 Mar 2017 17:09 #229015 by jakedouglas
Replied by jakedouglas on topic Re: Seeking quiver advice--volcano/ long tour ski
I totally disagree about the Cho Oyus skiing powder terribly. I'm continually surprised at how good they are and since this winter use them for way more powder days than anything else. I also have some 115 waist skis and now really only use them when we're talking knee deep skin tracks.

To each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More
01 Mar 2017 18:12 #229019 by jaker
I've really enjoyed my BD Helio 105 and wouldn't hesitate to grab one of the narrower versions like the 95 for a long tour/volcano ski given the chance.

I love the way they ride, I feel very confident on them and I'm by no means the strongest skier on the mountain.

Only thing about them that I don't like is that they do get knocked around at high speeds in weird snow but they turn on a dime even in a 185 so I have no problem shutting it down when needed. Highly recommend!

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
01 Mar 2017 18:15 #229020 by Good2Go

I totally disagree about the Cho Oyus skiing powder terribly. I'm continually surprised at how good they are and since this winter use them for way more powder days than anything else. I also have some 115 waist skis and now really only use them when we're talking knee deep skin tracks.

To each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ha!  It's all relative, I guess.  I had the 180-ish version and found them to be all tip and no tail in deep pow (5'10", 165-sh, aggressive skier, but not a big hucker).  Worked great up to about 6" of fresh, but beyond that I just couldn't get them to plane like I wanted/expected.  To me, they skie like "classic skis of yore" (i.e., more in the pow than on the pow).  And, the frequent reports of them snapping in half sealed the decision to sell.  Mythics plane great.  I wouldn't pick them for the deepest days, but surprisingly find myself choosing them way more than expected.