Home > Trip Reports > January 15, 2006, Bullion Basin

January 15, 2006, Bullion Basin

1/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ericd on 1/15/06 7:57am
Did you know it takes 3+ hours to drive to Crystal from Seattle?  Apparently it does if you get a late start (8 am) and it is MLK day weekend.  The line to enter the parking lots started just outside of Greenwater.  Ugh.  Luckily we had no intention whatsoever of fighting the crowds on the lifts, and drove straight to lot C where we parked at the Bullion Basin trailhead.

There were eleven of us and a dog, Alice.  The company was great and the skiing was fantastic.  6+ inches of blower powder (much deeper in spots where it had blown in) over a consolidated base.  Slightly wind affected up near the ridge.  Sometimes it was hard to see with all that white stuff blowing in my face.  ;D  Several other parties were out having a great time.

The low sun broke through the clouds just in time for our traverse off the ridge toward the last run to the car.  I wish I'd had my camera because the light was incredible.  Maybe Stevie D took a picture?

My legs got their fill, so I'm not bitter about the traffic.  But wow that was really bad, maybe as bad as I have ever experienced...anywhere...and that's saying something for someone who grew up in the SF Bay Area.  Glad we stuck it out, though.  We were justly rewarded.
a shovel handle was found in Bullion Basin Jan 15.  send a pm to arrange return.

Agreed, the to-mountain-traffic was absurd, but it was well worth it.  
First time exploring the buillon basin goods; plenty to tour.  The backside of the 6700' knob north of the basin had unbelievably tasty snow, as did the shots heading east to Union creek.  fun it was...  The late day sun breaks and views on Rainier were great.  

We were also stuck in the huge Crystal backup.  If I'd been alone, I'd have turned around.  Three hours was about right.  The worst I've ever seen.  Once at the area, a lift skier told us the access road had been closed earlier, plus there had been several accidents to clear away.

I'm glad we persevered.  The snow in Threeway Peak basin was the best I've seen in Washington.  Then the drive home was a snap.  Ironically, faster than usual.    

Reply to this TR

january-15-2006-bullion-basin
ericd
2006-01-15 15:57:58