Home > Trip Reports > Feb 11-12, 2017, Lake Janus, Jove Peak

Feb 11-12, 2017, Lake Janus, Jove Peak

2/11/17
Posted by radka on 2/14/17 2:05pm
Janus-Jove Belated Overnight Anniversary

This was our first overnight trip this winter. The previous weekend was too stormy to properly celebrate our anniversary. Ever since our trip up Union a few years ago with David, Kenji, and Sally, I€™d been itching to get back to ski the north aspect of Jove.

We left Smithbrook around 10:30am and started the slog up the road. We reached the final hairpin just after noon under cloudy skies with the sun starting to poke out. We decided the best way to Lake Janus would be via Union Gap and started to break trail, after applying a good dose of glob stopper to our skins. Snow conditions were about 4-7€ soft powder on top of a firm crust under the trees and deeper in open areas. Once we reached Union Gap, we de-skinned, and did a long traverse trying to keep our elevation as best we could, basically paralleling the PCT. After losing about 600€™, we put skins back on and finished the last bit to the lake. There€™s one drainage with steep walls to cross but we managed to find a reasonable spot to get across it. This might be challenging in lower snow years or earlier season.

Once the lake was in view, we headed towards the outlet and hoped we€™d find running water. We did €“ which is always a happy moment since it saves so much time melting snow. It was 4pm at this point - a little late to go for a lap, so we worked on setting up camp. We enjoyed a calm and quiet evening with lots of rest.

Chateau Chapin

...in the moonlight

The next day we left camp late, around 11am. We broke down camp before leaving and left all the overnight gear there. Our plan was to skin up to the Union-Jove gap, summit and ski Jove, pick up the overnight gear, then re-ascend to the gap and summit Union. Skinning to the gap is not the most efficient way up Jove from Janus. Once we reached the gap, the sun was full-on and it felt like spring. The tree drip was starting to pick up and from the previous day had left a pretty icy crust behind. We tried to stay in the open for the ascent where the snow was getting cooked. We finally reached the summit around 2pm, about ~1700€™ ascent from the lake, stopping to take in many photos along the way. It€™s always a treat to get unimpeded views of Glacier Peak.

Hello, halo!

Ascending Jove ridge

Hello, Glacier Peak!

Looking across the highway

Another halo from the summit

Summit selfie

After Facebooking and snack time, we skied down the NW side of Jove, enjoying soft and settled powder in the open slopes and glades between the open trees. The trees still skied great despite the icy crust underneath and occasional crater. There€™s a lot of great terrain here and next time we€™d like to stay for a few days and get a lot of laps in! We skinned across the lake back to camp and packed up. We left camp around 3:30pm and decided it would be best to re-trace our previous day€™s route instead of going back via Union. We were back to Union Gap just before sunset. All the solar slopes were re-freezing and crusting up good. From here we transitioned back to skiing, and it took about an hour to ski back to US2, where our car was the only one left at the pullout. Happy anniversary to my honey bun!

Skiing off the summit of Jove

Nice playground!

Powder turn in slo-mo, one...

Two...

Three...

Four

Turns on Jove, one...

Two...

Three

Back at the lake

#tinychris

Trip report: Chris
Photos: Radka
Radka, not sure what's up, but I can only see the first picture, and 1/4 of the next, of course it could be on my end, but I can see other pictures in other posts.  Anyone else having that problem?

Eeek! I am sorry, I posted pics as usual but something must have changed. I reposted pictures in a smaller format. Please let me know if that still doesn't work. Thank you!

There perfect now, I was thinking it was probably on my end, nice that it is not.  Always love your pictures, thanks for fixing them.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killer pics/ photo essay.
It's always good to see images on TAY

Reply to this TR

feb-11-12-2017-lake-janus-jove-peak
radka
2017-02-14 22:05:16