telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
03/23/18, 09:26 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!
Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Uphill policy in Ski areas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uphill policy in Ski areas  (Read 31609 times)

Re: Uphill policy in Ski areas
« Reply #25 on: 02/20/17, 05:33 AM »

An example of a non-profit funding plowing operations:

Doesn't cross any avalanche paths, but it does give the idea of what is possible with funding from a much smaller community.

« Reply #26 on: 02/21/17, 07:08 PM »

It seems to me that the first step towards beginning to address any of the problems discussed here is finding a unified voice with which to advocate for our community of users (as suggested by Martin, Kamtron, ~link~, and many others).

By my eye, TAY is about as close to this as currently exists (even with what seems to be a recent drop-off in use), but is not really formalized in any way, beyond whoever shows up to the forum. It has always baffled me that the backcountry skiing community in Washington has not organized in a more formal manner in order to advocate for themselves, as so many other local recreational groups have (see: Washington Climber's Coalition, Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance, Washington Trails Association among many others).

Obviously, there are many conflicting opinions even among our own community on what this advocacy would look like, but why not hash that out in the context of a unified organization? Everyone here is on this site because they enjoy skiing in the mountains, which I would think is enough to get us going in the right direction.

This sport is growing at an undeniably rapid rate, and it would stand to reason that access problems aren't going to get any better as long as there are more and more people trying to access the backcountry through the same limited access points. If (when) we, as a community, want to advocate for some kind of improved access - be it more parking, more plowing, better dispersion of users, whatever - we will have a more effective voice if it is unified.

Just my thoughts.

« Reply #27 on: 02/22/17, 07:45 AM »

For comparision to what other regions have"
ron j

« Reply #28 on: 02/24/17, 09:02 PM »

Does any of this 'safety' talk have anything to do with guide outfitters partnering with ski areas for paid guided tours accessing the  ski resort side backcountry?
How do those programs work exactly? Is uphill ski area access to the bc going to cut into profits for these types of tours?
Nice touch on all that L & I shutting down explosives use at ski areas because of uphill traffic stuff. Really? Any Facts?
I would love to focus at least some energy on safety measures that would put an end to guides getting themselves and clients killed.
Let's start with transparency shall we?   
Freeski, it seems like everyone else on this thread is discussing skinning in resorts and more access to more terrain for bc skiers. But you seem determined to keep trying to change the discussion to the same old worn out drum that you have been beating on for years implying that all professional guides are incompetent and/or killers.
Martin obviously took a lot of time to contribute to this topic with good and helpful information to add, which was on topic. But you have repeatedly quoted him and then made disparaging comments regarding guides and their safety practices. I think Martin is a pillar of our community and deserves better. And I have heard of nothing of him killing himself or his clients. If you want to rip on the guiding community at least have the decency to start your own thread so you can at least stay on topic. You have had a lot of you posts deleted in the past for good reason. This forum does not exist solely for you to conduct your personal war with the professional guide community. If you continue the way you at going you can again expect to see a lot of your posts disappearing.
« Last Edit: 02/24/17, 09:43 PM by ron j » Logged

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.