Home > Trip Reports > Feb 11, 2017, Mt Hood Complete White River Descent

Feb 11, 2017, Mt Hood Complete White River Descent

2/11/17
OR Mt Hood
Posted by cascadekid on 2/13/17 10:32am
Trip: Mt Hood - Pearly Gates w/White River Ski Descent

Date: 2/11/2017

Trip Report:
My girl and I needed a nature break before our wedding in a couple of weeks so we headed up to Hood to take advantage of the weather. Where were the rest of you on Saturday??

We were the only folks on top Saturday via the Pearly gates. Met some nice german/austrian folks on the hogsback (sorry if that's the wrong nationality) who bailed with snow safety concerns. We found largely safe snow conditions and easily avoided the new wind-transported snow by hugging the rime towers on the descent. The hordes tested the snow safety directly on saturday.

On Sunday, we skied white river from the headwall to the highway. There's a fine 6000' descent for you, provided that you know the way down. Again, pretty good conditions and great weather.

Congratulations to the couple who were married at I-Rock on saturday. PM me for more photos of your wedding party.

More photos and complete TR   

Gear Notes:
Two tools nice but not mandatory. No screws. Used a 30m rope per partner preference, but not needed if comfortable on steep snow/rime.

Approach Notes:
Skins to below crater rock, crampons thereafter.
Just climbed Leuthold yesterday. Not sure if you're saying they looked good for climbing or skiing. Definitely not good for skiing. The upper Reid glacier would be a great ski. No signs of the bergschrund. But the couloir was super icy. Even the upper couloir was all rimed up. Climbing was great though. Some spicier icier sections than I expected. And some good front pointing. Everything held together nicely, except for the contantly raining ice balls. The ski down from hogs back was terrible and icy. I heard the west side of crater rock was icy too, even late in the day.

Wish I was up Saturday or Sunday. I hear it was better.

Thanks for the TRs guys. Way to take advantage of the great weather.

I was high up on Cooper Spur on Sat. Not a breath of wind and the sun made It feel like summer, almost. It was completely wind scoured by the Friday storm. Good turns were had in the Pollalie and Tilly Jane drainages, but it was mostly suvival skiing up high. One could have easily skied straight off of the spur onto the elliot via one the two snow ramps and found deep wind transported snow.

Reply to this TR

feb-11-2017-mt-hood-complete-white-river-descent
cascadekid
2017-02-13 18:32:56