Home > Forum > Wet snow buildup on topsheets

Wet snow buildup on topsheets

• sgertz
  • [sgertz]
More
08 Feb 2017 12:11 #228671 by sgertz
Wet snow buildup on topsheets was created by sgertz
While on patrol on Sunday, I experienced some serious wet snow buildup on the topsheets of my skis and found myself stomping and hitting the snow off every ten steps. Anyone have any experience with products you can apply to keep the snow from sticking? Turtle wax? Rain-x? Ski wax? Skin wax? I'm open to all ideas.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Feb 2017 15:14 #228673 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Wet snow buildup on topsheets
I have tried everything from RAIN-X to Armorall to Maxiglide and others; the best I've found is a good high quality rub-on & buff carnuaba car wax; it works sometimes. Just got me thinking: maybe I'll try some rub-on Flouride paste ski wax & buff.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Feb 2017 18:02 #228681 by Randito

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
08 Feb 2017 20:01 #228683 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Wet snow buildup on topsheets
If you care, armor all, or just hand rub a block of any wax onto the top sheet.
This can help, but limited.
The best thing I've found is to arrive at the trailhead with skis at ambient temperature (this is why I use a roof box). This is also effective for best performance and longevity of skins.
Otherwise, flip it,scrape it, stomp it, or forget about it and zen out. At least there's snow.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Feb 2017 20:17 #228684 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Wet snow buildup on topsheets

While on patrol on Sunday, I experienced some serious wet snow buildup on the topsheets of my skis and found myself stomping and hitting the snow off every ten steps. Anyone have any experience with products you can apply to keep the snow from sticking? Turtle wax? Rain-x? Ski wax? Skin wax? I'm open to all ideas.

GOSH! I hope you are not on patrol at the MTTA walking in the middle of the trail, like the Ski Patrol snowshoers LOL

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Feb 2017 11:49 #228724 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Wet snow buildup on topsheets

silicone waterproofing spray

This. I don't spray my resort boards with it much, but I do like to do my bindings. I treat my splitboards with food-grade silicone spray a few times each season - primarily around the hardware and on both sides of the binding baseplates. Makes for much easier transitions and at least for the first handful of days the glop sheds right off :)

Next you'll be asking about keeping the schmoo off your skins - for that, rubbing some room-temperature wax on them the night before while the skins are warm-ish & dry works great

• sgertz
  • [sgertz]
More
14 Feb 2017 12:12 #228773 by sgertz
Replied by sgertz on topic Re: Wet snow buildup on topsheets
Thanks for all of the responses. I'll hopefully test out one of the methods this weekend. The photo posted was of the short section of Westside Rd in MRNP that didn't have enough snow to provide decent skiing.

To keep snow from glopping onto skins, I've used the Swix skin wax with good success.